Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1974 454came with a measly 250-270hp, that just makes me sick when i think of how they disgraced that engine. Anyway, where does one start to bring the horsepower up to where a 454 was in lets say 1971 with about 375-425hp? Or better yet, what did they do to it to take away horses so I could just reverse the process?

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
With today's technology, you could build that 454 into way, way more than anyone even thought about back then. The World Products Merlin engines are 780 HP right out of the crate.

Talk about scaring the neighbors... Uncap the headers and crank that puppy up at 1:00 AM :partyon:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Be careful with the big heads. Unless you are drag racing or constantly running above say 6000 the big heads will hurt the motor.
Aftermarket Oval heads are really good. Too much head kills the bottom end.
A little higher compression, a good set of Oval heads, good cam, HEADERS are a must, better intake and carb and that motor will really come alive.
I have experienced the big rectangular port heads and below 5000 they were sluggish but from 5 to 7500 they really came alive. How much driving are you going to do at this rpm?
I solved my head problem with this.
Now my heads work fine at low rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts