Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

[454 BB] Need Some Expert Assistance

886 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BBShark 
#1 ·
Hi All,

From Canada!

I have a 454 BB Tall Deck. Want to fit into my 1972 Stingray! Here's the problem so I'm told... Cannot fit Headers and will be a problem with valve covers... Looking for suggestions/answers.

Only suggestion I received today was to search out a 454 Standard Deck and save myself the headaches.

The BB is to be .30 over with Alum Heads and Intake - Elderbrk/Retrofit Roller Cam Kit.

Anyway before I drop the coin at the machine shop (who is waiting for the go - I would like to sort out this $%^@$#%^@$#^ before hand.

Thanks
Larry

#2 ·
Why a tall deck? Do you want to get some monster cubes out of it Tall deck does pose problems, apart from special timing setups, manifold availability (or using spacers), space is tight around the firewall where the brake booster mounts, it's difficult to take the valve covers off, possibly even needing to notch them depending on how tall & what style.

If you want a 454, get a short deck.

#5 ·
Appreciate Info

Just a quick thanks for the info.

Might just as well rebuild match # 350 that is currently in the car...

Obviously will need to revisit drawing brd. 454 Standard decks nearly impossibly to find. Maybe a Crate BB might be another option.. Would of like to use this TDBB as I got it as running engine 30k miles - 4both truck engine. Se le vie!

#7 ·
:agree: Yeah, go for it. Store the original motor away and build the tall deck. The intake adapter plates are ~$100 and will allow you to use any BB intake. The stock BB exhaust manifolds flow real well (especially when ported :D ). You would probably need to run stock rockers and the new style valve covers to get around clearance problems. Of course you will want a BB hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.