Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, nice to be a part of the forum.

I have a 1973 Vette, 454 and a 4-speed.

I have the factory chrome valve covers and I'd like to add a set of roller rocker arms. Do I have a chance of these fitting under the stock covers....and if not, what valve cover will allow the use of roller rocker arms and power brakes?

Any help will be appreciated.

Brent

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Newbie here, nice to be a part of the forum.

I have a 1973 Vette, 454 and a 4-speed.

I have the factory chrome valve covers and I'd like to add a set of roller rocker arms.
Brent
I installed roller rockers on my 68 427 and I added a second gasket under the valve cover. I've run it like that for 6 years and no problems. Summit or Jegs sells a spacer that fits between the head and the chrome valve cover if you want more clearance than that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hmmm... Roller rockers did not fit under my 71 covers, even with double gaskets. I went with billet specialties cast aluminum covers. They make a low profile version that looks very much like the factory covers. They clear rollers w/ double gaskets.

BTW, there were no chrome valve covers on '73 big-block vettes... you either have earlier covers or something after market...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right...

They're repops of the older covers.

Do you have a link for the billet specialties covers?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Summit sells a metal core rubber gasket that is thicker than a normal gasket. I used these and had no problems clearing the Comp Cams roller rockers. I should have mentioned that. The valve covers were repops of the originals with no drip rails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great....

Sweet guys....thanks for all the helpful info. It's a lot easier to ask here than to try several different combos without any luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What roller rockers are you using?
I'm using Comp Pro-Magnums. My stock valve covers did have the drip rails. If your repros do not have the drip rails you may be ok with using those & double gasket.

BTW, I'm also using the fel-pro double gasket with the metal insert as mentioned above, except mine is cork.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts