Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so here is my problem: I was driving to another town yesterday and I was going about 70 mph, my car started surging, the rpms would fluctuate by 200-300 rpm, I noticed my MPG went from about 30 to around 14-16 mpg. the car would drive normal then it would surge again, it only seemed to do it in OD and 3rd gear. is my transmission fried? I can dive around town without any issues but when I get on the highway it acts this way, also my car isnt throwing any codes right now

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
my initial guess is a torque conveter clutck malfunction....like the torque conveter is not locking up properly

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there anyway for me to check that? I had this problem once on my Camaro but it ended up being the 700R4 itself that was the issue, this doesnt feel like the same problem as I had with the IROC, can I convert a 700R4 to a 4L60E?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry but you are a 5 posts guy and you'r talking to Raid (29.373 posts) a legend here in the same way you were talking to your little brother...think about

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
uh...basically the 4L60-E is a computer controlled 700R4....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Starting from the case,there are many differences,being a computer controlled transmission,valve body assembly is very different,there is a pressure manifold switch and not a tv cable,different solenoid,the case itself is different:you can upgrade an old th700r4 to late version and became a 4l60,you can upgrade internals to oversized spec but nothing in a old 700 r4 survives converting it to 4l60e...

·
Registered
48 Posts
How do I know if I have a 4L60E or 4L60???
running a '90 with L98

·
Registered
56 Posts
Think you're just leaving off the "e" in one. A 700R4 is non electronic a 4L60 (4L60E) is. No diff with or without the "E" it's just the way people say it different. I don't call a beefed up 700R4 a 4L60, I call it a "beefed up, or updated 700R4"

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The 4L60E is a POS

Mine just went out in my truck at 80k !

I babied it too and Hauled Nothing

All Hwy miles no Abuse and regular maintenance done on it

If it's not the fluid level or something electronic

Then it's time for a rebuild

Bon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts