Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my repaint happens I maybe on the market for an overdrive transmission (if I have the money:laughing:). So now to my question, what is required to put in a 4L80(E) transmission? Can I use the stock crossmember or will modding it be required? Will the driveshaft have to be shortened? Additional wiring? I'm debating on the "E" version vs. the non "E" version. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
The 4L80E is an electronically controlled heavy duty 4 speed automatic. You will need a custom length drive shaft, either a modified or custon cross member, and you will also need a TCM (transmission control module). As a stand alone system, the only wiring needed will be for the harness of the TCM- the sensors on the trans itself, power wires for the TCM, and a TPS (throttle position sensor). I would deffinately go for the "E", i'm not even sure it is available without the electronic controls.

There are several alternatives to the 4L80E. The 6L50/65 and the 6L80 are some that you may want to look at. The 6L80 may be a little pricey, but you can find the 6L50/65 for a decent price if you shop around.

What are the power goals you are looking at, and intended vehicle useage?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to eventually get a set of 190cc aluminum heads and 1.65 ratio roller rockers. With the 64cc chamber and a .015" thick head gasket the compression should be around 10.2:1. Driving will consist of cruising mostly. My main reason for an OD tranny is the rising fuel cost plus longer engine life. I'm shooting for up to 400 hp but 350 will do just fine.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked into gear vendors before but it doesn't "fancy my skirt". I've got a buddy a few miles from me that rebuilds transmissions and I'm going to check with him and see what he has. He's very good and stays booked up constantly. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
no problem. You could also look at a 700R4- pretty much the same as the 4L80E except it is not electronic controlled and not as heavy duty. The 700R4 and early 4L60 can be had for practically a song these days

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not much for the 700r4's. They do make the 4l80 non "E". The reason I thought about getting the non "E" version is the added cost of the TCM which runs around a $1000. My TH400 was rebuilt nearly four years ago and has around 5000-6000 miles on it. It was built with all new racing parts and cost me nearly $2000 for the rebuild but the only downfall is that it isn't a OD tranny.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put a 4l80e in my 72 a few years back, mine is the electronic version. I had to modify the crossmember and build a new driveline. Its a tight fit and I had to use a lokar cable dipstick and drill a hole on the tunnel for the main plug on the trans to have room on the driver side. I used the hole as a way to get the wiring inside the car. I also had to build a bracket on my carb for a tps, and since mine is turbo'd, I also have a map sensor. I like the electronics as you can tune everything about speeds, shifts, ect. I have a switch on mine that will give me a full manual mode for paddle shifting and I love the overdrive, I have 3.08 rear gears and it cruises so nice. I am using a Powertrain Control Solutions controller on mine and it has a really sweet datalogging feature with it. I sometimes miss the four speed but I am getting old and lazy and its kinda nice to just put it in gear and go.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I know you're not in favor of the 700R4 but they are very strong when built properly. Most parts interchange with a 4L60E and I have one in an Impala that's been launching a 4200+ pound car with no problems at all to 11.76 in the quarter. A thousand pounds less would be a piece of cake. The WOT shift points can be adjusted with the governor and the part throttle shifts can be adjusted to your liking by the TV cable if you get a TCI constant pressure valve body for about $250.00. That sure beats a $1000 shift controller for a 4Lxxx transmission. If you go the way you'd like you are going to need a custom fabricated crossmember, driveshaft mods and just get out the checkbook. Good luck on your choice and have a great day.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a TH400 kind of guy. I'm doing my research now so when my decesion is made I'll have my ducks in a row. Appreciate all the info:thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know you're not in favor of the 700R4 but they are very strong when built properly. Most parts interchange with a 4L60E and I have one in an Impala that's been launching a 4200+ pound car with no problems at all to 11.76 in the quarter. A thousand pounds less would be a piece of cake. The WOT shift points can be adjusted with the governor and the part throttle shifts can be adjusted to your liking by the TV cable if you get a TCI constant pressure valve body for about $250.00. That sure beats a $1000 shift controller for a 4Lxxx transmission. If you go the way you'd like you are going to need a custom fabricated crossmember, driveshaft mods and just get out the checkbook. Good luck on your choice and have a great day.
I agree. For a normally aspirated small block application there is really no need for the 4L80 and the 4L80 will only rob more power.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I agree. For a normally aspirated small block application there is really no need for the 4L80 and the 4L80 will only rob more power.
think it is about 100lbs more weight too lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
For only 400-500hp, I would definitely look at a 200r4. It bolts RIGHT IN WITH NO MODS where a T400 fits. You only need a different slip yoke. You will have to connect a TV cable to the carb, this basically controls the transmission. You also have to wire 12v to the converter lock up solenoid via toggle switch or vacuum switch. Get a tranny from a good rebuilder and you're done. You will also have to mod your shifter for 4 forward detents.
*direct fit and no modding to the car
*2.75 1st gear and a much better gear spacing then a 700r4
*Lighter then a 700r4 and consumes much less power to run
*when built right, MUCH stronger then a 700r4
*OD and lock up feature
*No electronic BS....(other then the 12v for converter lock up)

The key here is to get one from a GOOD builder and have it tailored to your car's combo. You will pay around $2k for one that is good for 450hp or so, plus a converter that is built to match your engine's output.

CK Performance in New York has a good rep. Also Century Transmission down in Rosenberg Tx has a good rep for building these trannies to run 9s. That is where I will be getting mine from. My setup will cost about $4k setup for 900hp.

Either way a 200r4 is a much better choice then a 700r4. A 4l80e is stronger with less mods then a built 200r4 but the weight, parasitic power loss and mods to fit required are a lot more. Not counting buying the controller etc...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never heard of a 4L80 nor can I find any info on such a trans. Would someone provide a link to this elusive GM trans?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bad. When I looked up info for the 4l80e it brought 4l80/4l80e so that's why I assumed a non "e" version. Sorry if I put wrong information on here. Thanks for catching that jleeheat:thumbsup: I'll do better next time:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
50 Posts
My bad. When I looked up info for the 4l80e it brought 4l80/4l80e so that's why I assumed a non "e" version. Sorry if I put wrong information on here. Thanks for catching that jleeheat:thumbsup: I'll do better next time:laughing::laughing:
:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts