Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having reviewed my posted video clip of my 3rd CC drag (see Grand Sport Cam thread here in Racing Forum), I have a question about 4th gear. I know that the answers will vary based upon transmission and rear end gear ratios, but...

What's the rule of thumb on using 4th gear (1:1) in a 1/4 mile drag?

Based upon my video review, I probably could have wound 3rd gear out higher and made it to the lights (since I was shifting 1000rpm before my redline in order to avoid stressing the engine). Instead, I shifted into 4th for the final stretch.

Just curious, how many draggers out there only use 3 of 4 gears on purpose?

·
Registered
0 Posts
66 Grand Sport said:
Having reviewed my posted video clip of my 3rd CC drag (see Grand Sport Cam thread here in Racing Forum), I have a question about 4th gear. I know that the answers will vary based upon transmission and rear end gear ratios, but...

What's the rule of thumb on using 4th gear (1:1) in a 1/4 mile drag?

Based upon my video review, I probably could have wound 3rd gear out higher and made it to the lights (since I was shifting 1000rpm before my redline in order to avoid stressing the engine). Instead, I shifted into 4th for the final stretch.

Just curious, how many draggers out there only use 3 of 4 gears on purpose?
When I raced I went into 4th but after watching my in car video I noticed that I went into 4th after I passed the line! I dont think this will help you?:huh:

·
Registered
596 Posts
As a 'general-rule-of-thumb', you want to be AT maximum HP-making RPM at the finish-line; 'possibly' be the MPH-light (66' from the finish-line) for all-out ET-potential.
If you have very 'tall' rear-gearing, wind-out the lower transmission gears as far as possible (with-in reason & HP-making capabilities), and 'trap' at a lower RPM in a higher-gear, if necessary.
If you post more info (ET/MPH, RPM, gearing, etc.), someone here may offer differing, and better, advice.

66 Grand Sport:
do some 'math', and see if you could run the same MPH in 3rd gear, without the pistons trying to 'change-holes'
:laughing:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts