Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. My car is almost out of the shop and thank god for a very good friend I have a temporary ride. She has lent me her 1990 Mustang 5.0 and ive been driving it around for almost 2 months!!! holy crap!

well anyways I know a lot of you guys have had mustangs before so I thought I would ask you guys. I know its leaking oil. From what ive seen it drips from the engine every couple of seconds. Not a lot but a good size drop.

and the oil seems to be hitting parts of my exhaust and the leaking oil is reaching all the way down to the middle of the car. Looks like the oil is hiting the exhaust and is causing white smoke to appear. At first it is barely noticable but little by little its been more noticable. What could be causing the leak? thanks!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Sounds like valve covers. It will go down the bottom of the car due to the wind from driving.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much should it cost me to have it replaced at a local shop? im thinking of taking it tomorrow since I don't work..

·
Registered
744 Posts
try to sung up the bolts on the valve covers, just a little. It sounds like the car sets alot so the gaskets may have dryed, then you start driveing it and the bolts loosen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
5.0 leak

had a '90 GT, leaked a tad from the valve covers. had 150k on it, sold it in 2000, ran into the guy who bought it last week, said he made it into a fake Cobra and it still leaks a little, but runs like new money!:partyon:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I had a 1985 GT that started leaking from the back right valve cover. I had the gaskets replaced on both sides and never had the problem again. At about 130K miles, the rear main seal started to leak. I attempted to have it fixed twice but it never seemed to hold. It was downhill from there because the oil leak started to burn up clutches. I sold the car shortly thereafter. By the way, that was my favorite car that I have ever owned. By today's standards, it really wasn't that fast of a car, but there was something about it. It had that "feel" of a car with a motor that was too big for it. In the mid-80's when I had that car, it was the "it" pony car. :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys.

Honestly I love my corvette and I want it back. I should have it very soon. Ive been without it for two months. Its been a total nightmare but im sure it will be worth it.

I get a lot of looks with the 90 5.0. Its got some add ons and its a ruby red or something and convertible. I get a lot of looks. I mean woah im really surprised. Not as much as my vette but still. I have a lot of respect for the Mustang now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts