Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-g...ot-lobbying-for-end-of-ethanol-subsidies.html

Now they've found a new, eminently worthy target: The 7 billion taxpayer dollars that annually go to subsidize the production of corn-based ethanol. The nominal policy rationale for the subsidies is to wean us off our dependence on carbon-spewing foreign oil. The political rationale is that corn is grown across the Midwest, and if you want to win a Senate race in those states, or the Iowa presidential caucuses, it behooves you to throw money at corn farmers. Alas, good politics does not always make for good policy. Ethanol has been shown to use as much or more emissions to produce as it saves over conventional gasoline. And by driving up the prices for corn, it has increased food prices. Environmental hero Al Gore has recently admitted he was wrong to back ethanol in 2000, and that he did so with Iowa in mind.

------------------------------------------------------

"We're busy:

Adam Brandon, a spokesman for FreedomWorks, the fiscally conservative group that has worked closely with Tea Party activists, says they enthusiastically support the proposal but haven't done or said anything about it yet because they just got back from Thanksgiving and they have been overwhelmed with other issues, such as their sponsorship of the Republican National Committee chairman candidates' debate. Brandon says that whether Tea Party activists in Iowa support removing ethanol subsidies is an important question. "That’s an interesting test in a state like Iowa," says Brandon. "A lot of conservatives talk a good game, but when it’s their corporate welfare it’s different."

Read on.....

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
This has what to do with the Tea Party? :huh: Oh yeah, the smear campaign to attempt discrediting. Gotcha.. almost forgot who wrote the article.. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
This has what to do with the Tea Party? :huh: Oh yeah, the smear campaign to attempt discrediting. Gotcha.. almost forgot who wrote the article.. :laughing:
:thumbsup: Newsweak.:laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Ethanol subidies definitely need to go. But as the article points out, the Tea Party doesn't necessarily have a unified view on issues like this. The Tea Party is a loosely knit organization of local interest groups. It may well be that the Iowa Tea party supports the home team and their subsidies. I would disagree with them, but that's not a Big "T", big "P" Tea Party stance. The media is working hard to frame the Tea Party as the national nut party, but all that means is they are scared of them.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:agree:

yes.

I just have been following these corn/ethanol subsidies closley for the last 10 years.

Always interesting stuff.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:agree:

yes.

I just have been following these corn/ethanol subsidies closley for the last 10 years.

Always interesting stuff.
I'm concerned about the coming inflation spiking corn commodities and coupling that with oil as a reason for the next big hike in gas prices...i.e. now we won't only be at the mercy of OPEC but the FDA also.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
And lest we forget all that corn grown in Alaska! Palins in on this. I know she is!:D

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I certainly wasn't for my excitement over his expertise. :laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts