Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on the R&D on 5 speed "T5" swaps in C4 corvettes for a few months now, and working with a company called Pro Street Customs who has designed a CBEAM adapter bracket based on my specifications. This bracket will be available by the end of next week for purchase for about $175 / shipped.

The specifics are:

1) A T5 transmission uses the same 4+3 bellhousing/clutch/driveshaft
2) A T5 bolted to a 4+3 bellhousing is the same length as a 700R4, making auto-stick swaps cost effective now
3) You do not need to modify the CBEAM, just use the adapter
4) The shifter can be modified to be offset and line up with the shifter plate
5) T5 transmissions average used cost is about $250

I've been working on a writeup for the swap. Some of the part #'s listed in the writeup are wrong, but within about a week or so the writeup will be 100% correct.

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/f-car-t5/

Any questions?

-- Joe

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Great job and a great write up. I always like doing things people say not to do. Just the rebel in me I guess...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Send me a private message when you get everything ready to order, because I definitely want to get in line.

Reactions: Newvetteguy81

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Hmmm......I'll be book marking this for later reference. :thumbsup:

Very nice. :cheers:

·
Registered
674 Posts
very intersting and timely thread- I am currently thinking about swapping out my auto for a manual!

My only thoughts are this; as an active member of numerous Ford & Mustang forums as well, T-5's don't come highly respected when it comes to taking any kind of abuse even behind 5 liter engines (thats why I put a Tremec 3550 in my mustang), so I would be somewhat leary of using the T-5 in a vette but would definatley consider a 3550 or TKO.

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Good work and good question regarding the tourqe capabilities.

Can the T5 be "built" to handle higher torque? Whats the cost (approx) to uses a Tremec?

Definately interested and keeping an eye on this one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good work and good question regarding the tourqe capabilities.

Can the T5 be "built" to handle higher torque? Whats the cost (approx) to uses a Tremec?

Definately interested and keeping an eye on this one.
For about $900 you can build a T5 to handle upwards of 500foot lbs of torque gear wise. You can purchase steel bearing retainers which help with case flex.

In a 3600lbs fbody with a solid rear axle, you are more likely to break a T5 with a 500HP engine. In a 3200lbs C4 with IRS, you have a lot more things that can break from shock than the T5.

I know I hear a lot of people say "my friends sisters dogs friends owner had a 4cyl mustang with a T5 and broke it!!!" Well, we can't keep Mustangs and Camaro's out of 16 year olds hands, but I can tell you this. My supercharged singleplane firebird with 26" slicks, a RAM ceramic 6-padal clutch, and T5, with a race weight of 3650lbs ran 119-120mph EVERY PASS in the 1/4 for a few seasons, and never ran slower than 110mph with the TPI setup the first few seasons with NO breaking. I've come to the conclusion its not the torque or HP, its the driver. You drive like an idiot, grind gears, etc - your gonna break it.

-- Joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
very nice, but what are T5s rated at for tourqe stock? Ive heard 300ft/lbs for the non world class ones, and Im not sure about the " world class" ones from 88 and up.
It's one of the FAQ questions at the top of the article. 300foot lbs is about what all the guys say on TGO. Not sure if we can believe it or not. Honestly I don't think it matters.

-- Joe

·
Administrator
10,211 Posts
Great post Joe. Proves that not all pioneers get arrows in their backs ... some find gold. Unfortunately, after almost 20 years, my 87 with a 4+3 went up in smoke. But I'll bet there will be more than a couple of DC C4 owners waiting for that conversion write up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds great to me!

Please let me know when you have a kit all together I will deffenently get one. I have a 87 4+3 and when I get home It will have a supercharger going on it, And I wanted to change the trany cause the O/D is going out in it.

Once I get it all together I'll tell you how it does.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts