Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had mentioned "American Speed" to me before. I live in Illinois, they are in Illinois.

They do 350, 383, 396, 420 and 430 CID motors!

I am e-mailing them for info. Their 383 package puts out 50 hp more then LPE's.

www.amerspeed.com

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-=Jeff=- said:
Cool!!!

let us know what they say!

I'm afraid what they'll say! Sure, Patrick... bring it in.

Then after 2 months it'll have a parachute on the back!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Find out if they have a warranty. I know that's a big plus with LPE, they actually warranty the High Power motors.

That motor would look nice in my '93. :D

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
All Street Performance engines from 275 hp to 550 hp carry a 90 day in house warranty beginning from date of delivery. All American speed Street Performance engines from 275 hp to 550 hp listed in brochure carr a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty provided by an independent insurance company.
Total warranty: 27 months/24,000 miles.
Warranty does not cover engines used for racing or any competition purposes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very nice looking motor! 500 hp is not very challanging to get out of an LS1 or especially the LS6. Headers, cam, porting/polishing the heads and some custom tuning and you have yourself a 400 RWHP monster. Now buikding a 500 RWHP motor is an accomplishment! JMHO :)

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4EVRFAST said:
Very nice looking motor! 500 hp is not very challanging to get out of an LS1 or especially the LS6. Headers, cam, porting/polishing the heads and some custom tuning and you have yourself a 400 RWHP monster. Now buikding a 500 RWHP motor is an accomplishment! JMHO :)
I wish I had an LS1 or LS6, because I could just strap on a Magnacharger and be done with it.

And, the car would remain smoooooooth.

But, with the LT4, there are too few options. It's a waste of money to supercharge it, because the compression is too high and you can't run enough boost to make the $9000 parts/labor install be worth it.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers will get you some HP, no doubt, but it seems you hit a ceiling unless you add more cubes or NOS... ?

Any thoughts?

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I wish I had an LS1 or LS6, because I could just strap on a Magnacharger and be done with it.

And, the car would remain smoooooooth.

But, with the LT4, there are too few options. It's a waste of money to supercharge it, because the compression is too high and you can't run enough boost to make the $9000 parts/labor install be worth it.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers will get you some HP, no doubt, but it seems you hit a ceiling unless you add more cubes or NOS... ?

Any thoughts?
It depends what you want from the car.. If you want a Supercharger, you will need to beef up the bottom end anyway.. you could always build a low compression LT4 and use a power adder..

If it were me, I would build a solid bottom end, run like 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression and Twin Turbo Charge it with an intercooler

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-=Jeff=- said:
It depends what you want from the car.. If you want a Supercharger, you will need to beef up the bottom end anyway.. you could always build a low compression LT4 and use a power adder..

If it were me, I would build a solid bottom end, run like 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression and Twin Turbo Charge it with an intercooler
Twin Turbo's are a decent application for a C4, because the power won't come on until you've had a chance to hook up, as you know, it's hard to plant HP. Good for drag racing. And the lower compression is great for cheaper gas and lots of boost.

But, I see the problems with Turbo's being roadracing. The turbos can unleash maybe at a time you don't want them too.

Additionally, the amount of under-the-hood plumbing for turbo's or blowers requires to much work to simply get at the spark plugs.

I still think a big cube N/A motor is the way to go.... I'd like a solid 11.50 car, that can drag race or road race with the switch of 4 wheels/tires.

Are my theories sound?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
War machine said:
I think that way also. Instead of going with an adder, I'd like to go 502 or 572 big. {opens wallet and moths fly out} By the time I can afford either one GM will have a bigger crate motor. LOL!
Well, I like Blowers!! My C5 was blown, the C4 will be blown and if I go all out in the next few years, the C4 will have a blown big block! NA is the best way to go if you want to road race the car once in a while, if the boost comes on at the wrong time, it's not pretty!

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arnie said:
Well, I like Blowers!! My C5 was blown, the C4 will be blown and if I go all out in the next few years, the C4 will have a blown big block! NA is the best way to go if you want to road race the car once in a while, if the boost comes on at the wrong time, it's not pretty!
I can't wait to see your car at the track...........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts