Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys happy holidays! i've been visiting your forum a while but my first time posting. i was reading an article in www.corvettec5.com (halltech ind.) & a source is saying the new z willl have 505hp! & the frame will be aluminum hydroformed frame weighing in at UNDER 2900 LBS! the engine will be a 6.3 liter(427 cu)! they said the power to weight ratio will be key for this viper killer! now one thing that disturbed me a little was that originally it's supposed to 525hp but the drivers on the track suggested to tone the hp down a little 'cause of traction problems! now you would think that gm would put meatier tires on a 70k vehicle! yes the source said 70k!!!! if you would like more info just click on link above & go to (what's new) & sroll down you'll see article.:partyon: :cheers: :thumbsup: :surprised :excited: :) ENJOY!

·
Super Moderator
10,113 Posts
Thanks for the info. Can't say I'm surprised at that price, the HP, or the Al HF rails. However, my calculator says that 427 CI would be 6.9 to 7.0 liters. 6.3 L = somewhere around 387 to 388 CI.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
The insurance cost for the new Z06 should be in the range of $5000 per year. When I bought my 04 coupe the Z06 insurance I priced was almost triple the $1300 I got the coupe for. Z06 is nice but not worth the insurance cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I must be missing something because I went to your link and it only has a couple pics and copies of articles, no mention of the Z06 except that it will be released after the coupe and conv. Where did you get this info.:huh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
hey poncherello

I live in NY too... it only depends on what insurance company you carry. When i was shopping to get an 02 i was surprised to learn the z06 was the cheapest to insure because it was a hardtop, therefore the hardest to steal. The company stated it was their main concern with a corvette and that its not even a high one. in fact they said insurance on bmw's and camaros are higher to them! And when they quoted me $1580 full coverage including glass I signed the papers right there. I was expected around $4000 like you said! Def shop around with a coupe,vert, and z06 vin number so companies can give you quotes. My company is closed on accepting anymore ny residents =/

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I heard the Z06 was coming out as an '07 model. Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
when u go to link click on (what's new tab) & scroll down...i'm sorry about my goof up on the 6.3 & 7.0 i guess i was a little excited :partyon:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't wait for Halltech to make those carbon fiber body panel replacements. I just hope they make them look stock...for a sleeper look...if that's even possible in a Vette!

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Hey blueC5, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an awesome machine, a little overkill for an everyday street driver tho. :rolleyes:

Although I would'nt mind trying it out, not sure I would want to drive one on a regular basis, might kill myself. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
No doubt the Z06 will be awesome. But take anything you hear about it (we are still nearly 2 years away from now) with a grain of salt. I dont care who says it or how much of an authority they appear or claim to be. "insider info" usually means squat.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
kewlbrz said:
No doubt the Z06 will be awesome. But take anything you hear about it (we are still nearly 2 years away from now) with a grain of salt. I dont care who says it or how much of an authority they appear or claim to be. "insider info" usually means squat.
As we learned with the regular C6. Some people were so far off it was astounding.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Kewbreez is correct. Stuff changes from the top at will. This much I know. What I have posted I heard about one year ago, and now second and third GM sources are humming the same tune to the tee.

None of this information means a thing to me, since the real information I need never makes it to my table. The intake system, MAF details, throttle body, etc. remain shrouded in secret even to the insiders.

What is truly interesting is the design of the new snorkle on the C6. We were planning on making a carbon fiber snorkle similar in shape to the Saleen unit. Take a look at the C6 snorkle and look at the Saleen piece. I can only say, GM has made a piece so close to our idea, that we are going to have to rethink what our approach to this connector will be.

To just make a knock off in carbon fiber, with one or two molds would never keep up with the demand our plastic system generates, and if the final approach is cosmetic only, few will be interested, including me.

We do have our work cut out for us.

Jim

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
poncherello said:
The insurance cost for the new Z06 should be in the range of $5000 per year. When I bought my 04 coupe the Z06 insurance I priced was almost triple the $1300 I got the coupe for. Z06 is nice but not worth the insurance cost.
Damn,i know someone here that pays just under a 1000 bucks a year for a ZO6 ,EFI-1 also has a new Z,i won't speak for him,but it's nowwhere near those prices,i pay $68 a month for my coupe and a 93 saturn.And hawaii has some of the highest rates in the country.Hows your driving record?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll chime in and say that until a more relaible source reports the same thing - i.e. Al hydroformed frame and a 7 liter V8, I'll be betting the Z06 is more similar to the C6 like the currant C5 Z06. Remember they have to build the Z06 on the same line and so it has to be pretty similar to assemble. Making the frame out of Al would be nice but would throw the weigth distribution off and so that would mean the car would have to have parts placed different to get back to the proper weight distribution, etc. I have heard many a tall tale from that same source - I could be wrong but I won't hold my breath. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts