Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather bought a new 1953 Chevy Wagon that he used with his grocery store to deliver groceries. He died in 1978 so my Uncle kept the Wagon. My Uncle and my Cousin spent several years restoring it and is now about 98 percent restored. My Uncle died last year and my cousin just could not bring himself to continue with the restoration. I saw my cousin several weeks ago and he offered to give the Wagon if I wanted it. I could not believe it...... I had been wanting to own this car ever since I can remember!!

This very '53 Chevy Wagon is the very first car I remember riding in when I was a toddler, and now I own it!! I will be driving to San Antonio, TX in a couple of weeks to pick it up and trailer it home.

I just found out that my daughter had a pic of it on her cell phone, so a really long story short..... thanks to Raidmagic, he was able to host it for me. (I could not figure out how to get the pic off the phone)

Here is the '53 Chevy Wagon:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Damn that thing looks to be in good shape. I can't wait to see it complete and out of that garage.:partyon:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Awesome! :partyon: Got any cool plans for it?

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! :partyon: Got any cool plans for it?
Right now it still has the original Blue Flame Six in it. As soon as I can, I plan to drop the 350/TH350 from my 78 Vette in it to make it a decent driver. I also need to replace the rearend with a late model Camaro rearend so it can handle more power than the original is designed for. The camaro rearend is the exact size with the fewest mods to replace the original.

I would LOVE to drop a 572 in it, but that will have to wait until later.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Awesome!! We expect lots and lots of pictures!!!! :partyon:

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
i say leave it as is of course finish repairing but stock would look a lot cooler IMO:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Hey way cool, I have a 53, 2 door and a blown 383 stroker fits very nicely in the engine compartment, and the hood closes with no alteration except the motor mounts. :thumbsup:

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
i say leave it as is of course finish repairing but stock would look a lot cooler IMO:thumbsup:

:agree:

I thinks its better to have a time machine than a completely new set of parts with old sheet metal covering it.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the most part, I do plan to keep it original. It does need new brakes right now, so I am thinking of updating to discs, mainly for safety reasons. In 1953, there were no seatbelts, so that will be one of the first mods I will do.... again for safety reasons. Also, it is a six volt electrical system, so I will convert it to twelve volt system for more efficient operation.

The Blue Flame Six is somewhat of a rare engine. It is the same engine used in the first Corvettes. Since I have a 350 and Turbo 350 trans just sitting in my garage, I plan to swap out the drive trane as soon as I can. I will store the original BF Six and Powerglide trans.

Since I will take the Wagon out for drives a lot, I plan to install a Vintage Air for creature comfort.

These are the only mods I plan now.... I want to keep the same look as original as possible.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey way cool, I have a 53, 2 door and a blown 383 stroker fits very nicely in the engine compartment, and the hood closes with no alteration except the motor mounts. :thumbsup:
Hey Ivan, could you post some pics of your 53, 2 door???

I would really love to see it and maybe get some ideas from what you have done!!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's been converted to 12 volt and yes it has the enclosed driveshaft.
Did you have to replace any of the wiring to convert to 12 volt?

From what I understand, you need to replace the generator for an alternator, change out the voltage regulator, all of the bulbs, and the starter motor. But I have not heard whether the wiring needs to be replaced.

Almost forgot the battery..... I guess that is important!!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Yea it's all the same wiring. You named all the parts that need replacing. I guess you can change out the bulbs for the headlights and such as well although I didn't.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Cool:thumbsup: My dream rod is a 53 Panel Sedan with an Aluminum V8.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts