Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at my shop the other day borrowing a diagnostic tool, I spotted a C1 in the corner of their lot. Looked like a total basket case...no trim, flat tires, exposed fiberglass, no paint, windows down, trashed interior, no motor, wrong hood (if its a 58)...etc.

So I asked that the deal was with the car. I had visions of making it a fun resto racer and not bothering with adding all the uber expensive trim/chrome back to it. Tasteful but modern. I figured it was trashed and abused anyway, so its not like I'm destroying a good "bones" car.

The shop guy said that it has been in and out for 20 years and the owner wants a full blown 100% NCRS restoration done. :surprised But money keeps becoming an issue.

A quick sketch in my head...and I figure that'll ring in at almost $100k...and the car on its best day might go for $90K (but this wouldn't be a numbers matching car).

And to think I was gonna offer $1000 just to take it off their hands. :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
100,000 if the shop works at a discount rate. Too many people watching Barret Jackson. No way you touch that car for a grand but it couldn't hurt to ask. Hell I'd go 5 grand.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100,000 if the shop works at a discount rate. Too many people watching Barret Jackson. No way you touch that car for a grand but it couldn't hurt to ask. Hell I'd go 5 grand.
WAY too many people watching Barrett Jackson. The crazy thing is that the guy keeps taking the car back because he doesn't have any money. He's like thousands of other guys I've talked to...."Yea, I'm about the restore it. Once just like it went for $XXXXXXXXX at an auction. I'll let it go in its current condition for half that."

:rolleyes:

The reality is unless it were given to me, we've got no money or space for another unnecessary project. Too many other more important things.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
Well if you wind up with it, lemme know. Lol. I'll help ya wrench on it.

View attachment 13146

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/

I would pursue that 1958 Corvette if it was me XQ.
C1's are awesome .
I have driven a 1958 Corvette Balls out. Lots of fun.
C1's are LEGENDARY DRAG RACE MACHINES HERE IN ILLINOIS .
OSWEGO DRAGWAY.

One way to make the 1958 C1 yours is to trade.
Your 1977 C3.

Its $20 k easy that C1 as is.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
Solid Axle Vette.
Makes it real Awesome .
The choice back in the day was to install a 1957-58 Pontiac Olds 9.3 Rear diff.
I have lots of them now here.
Drag racers used 4.88-5.38 Gears in C1 Vettes.
Even highway gears they are lightning fast.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
Even the Legendary 426 Hemi had trouble winning against the C1 Sbc 283-301 (283 ci punched out .100 bigger bore) -327ci.
Launch hard and fast C1's.
Like a modern day 5.0 Mustang that most IRS Vette owners hate.

Only Dennis 50 & Myself understand there.
Poncho guys too still.

Could put a Real spanking again today....Hellcats.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol Brian. The 77 is my wife's car. She ain't giving that up for nothing. I'm just the mechanic and detailer.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
Lol Brian. The 77 is my wife's car. She ain't giving that up for nothing. I'm just the mechanic and detailer.
Just an idea XQ.
Can't give up the 85 C4.
It was your Dads Car.

Even a crap box beat up 5.0 stang is worth $4-5 k in the Chicago crowd.
The Drag race history has been established.

The C1 is MORE THAN SHOW AND SHINE.

SUPER STRONG DRAG RACE HERITAGE .

My late. friend Raced a 1957 C1 & a 1959 C1 at OSWEGO DRAGWAY Against others Nationwide .
All Legends Raced at Oswego Illinois .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts