Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about using some 5/8" cone spacers for the lower outer strut rod Heim Joints on my 6-Link build.

I've measured with digital clipers, 1.675" distance between the two "ears" for the lower outer stut rod mount (coming off the stock cast iron hub assy).

The 5/8" Heim Joints are 0.75" thick, leaving 0.925" to fill up with spacers. Using two symetrical spacers would make that 0.925/2 = 0.4625" left to fill on each side of the Heim Joint.

Now QS Components, who makes the Heim Joints I'm using, also makes 5/8" ID cone spacers that are 0.435" thick.

So if I were to use two of those, we get: 0.4625" - 0.435" = 0.0275 gap between the spacers and the "ears".

Question is: Do the "ears" of the lower strut rod mount flex enough to make up the gap by torqueing the stock lower shock mount assy, or do I need to have a set of custom cone spacers that are actually 0.4625" thick instead of the off-the- shelf spacers that are 0.435" thick?

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
since that's 0.0275" on each side for a total of 0.055" I sure wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I'd have some customs made. Do they need to be cones? Might be cheaper as simple cylinders.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they wouldn't have to be cones, and I'm probably just going to have some made up in stainless when the time comes, as I called QS Components and they said they could make some custom cones in mild steel, (at $1.50 each) but the Zinc plating would make them totally cost prohibitive (over $100 per batch).

In the mean time, I'll use an assortment of washers to make sure everything fits. I purposely oversized the fabbed upper outer brackets a bit (as far as width for the Heim joints) in case I need to move things around during initial test fit, so washers are part of the design for now.

Just was wondering just how much .06" really is, and I take from your response that the cast iron doesn't flex that much.:smack

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Just was wondering just how much .06" really is, and I take from your response that the cast iron doesn't flex that much.:smack

Thanks!:thumbsup:
I have nothing solid to back up my claim, it's just a gut feeling. For $1.50 a piece I'd have the custom parts made and just paint 'em. Or see if they'll make them out of aluminum. :huh:

·
Registered
910 Posts
You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Order some heim seals from Speedway and improve the life of your heims.
They have centers made like washers which will give you enough overall width to cut down the cones you have on a lathe, surface grinder or even a drill press and hand grinder.

The uprights are forged and can handle a little bit of bending, but when I made my cones they were an exact tight fit with the seals. No sense in stressing the metal.
Simple castings would crack immediately, no flex.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A pair of flat metal mounting plates will flex .050 under bolt load, no problem.

If you didn't have that much clearance you'd have to spread them with a bar to get the joint in position. At which point you've worked your way into .050 clearance that'll have to be removed with the bolt. good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Order some heim seals from Speedway and improve the life of your heims.
They have centers made like washers which will give you enough overall width to cut down the cones you have on a lathe, surface grinder or even a drill press and hand grinder.
Those Seals-it Heim seals look interesting, but won't fit the style of the QC Components Heims I'm using, which have a beefier outer case, no cone shape to them. They would fit the two I ordered from PPM Racing that became sacraficial welding jigs, (teflon/kevlar doesn't hold up well under the heat of MIG welding).:lookinup:

Speedway seems to have a variety of spacers on their sites, but no specifications other than OD and ID, :WTF?

I think I'll eventually have some customs made up in aluminum.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I use Mcmastercarr at work quite often. They have everything under the earth hardware wise. Not sure if you can buy direct from them but you can look up the part on the net and any home town hardware store can order from them and sell to you. That being said I am not sure just what you need but here's a link to precision spacers that can be bought in many different thicknesses. Just look around their site and they may have what your looking for. http://www.mcmaster.com/#shims-and-shim-stock/=bnxald
You also can find what you are looking for at Mcmaster and then do a shopping search on the net.
:cheers:Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts