Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post a pic of my 6 link rear in case anyone was wondering what my car was doing up on ramps at the show in my earlier pics. I'm sure Norval will jump in here and assist with any technical questions that may crop up. While my version may not be as technically correct or as well resourced as Norval's I think it still does the job for me.

Bob

·
Registered
746 Posts
Brutus your work is never inferior to mine, We solved the problem slight different but our upper strut rods are located in the same spot, the same length just different inner mount.
'Once again your fabrication and finish are 1st rate.

·
Registered
746 Posts
This is a shot of the home grown trailing arm with the offset for tire clearance , the upper strut rod and offset spring bolt hanger for the shorter spring.
I have run up to 12.5 inch tires under the fender with 5 inch backspacing on the rims with this trailing arm.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
That 6 link is an absolute work of art, gentlemen (as is that whole yellow monster). Wow!

If you could, upload those and your other pics to the gallery!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had to content myself with just a total tidy up when I re-did the T arms along with a full seam weld of both units. I did however manage to relocate to hand brake bracket to the top of the arms while I was at it tho. Those things were definitely nasty when they left the factory. Did they really employ 10 year olds to do their welding in those days?

Pat...I'm still feeling my way around here so is there anywhere in particular you'd like us to place our pics at all or do you just want them in a general gallery?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Brutus said:
I had to content myself with just a complete tidy up when I re-did the T arms along with a complete seam weld of both units. I did however manage to relocate to hand brake bracket tho. Those things were definitely nasty when they left the factory.

Pat...I'm still finding my way around here so is there anywhere in particular you'd like us to place our pics at all or do you just want them in a general gallery?
Brutus, just click "upload photos" from the gallery menu. The photos you upload go into an "approval queue" ... then I will categorize them for you, you just do the uploading!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can clearly see after I grit blasted them just how "inadequate" the factory welds were. And we trust these things to cope with prodigious outputs of power and torque!:huh: These things are just plain wrong!

Bob

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Geez Brutus, those look bad. I've seena lot of bad ones too with welding splatters all over the, dents in the metal where the torch accidentally hit it, just plain wrong indeed. Min, although still crappy spot welded looked relly nice, no messy spatters anywhere:

Of all the cars I've worked on it seemed the trailing arm quality has gone up somewhere in 1980, all alter cars I worked on had pretty nice arms whereas the earlier ones had those terribly welded ones. The worst arms I saw were from an 78 car.

Stupid me, I didn't weld them fully through before powdercoating them...dang.

I think I'll have to get another set and redo it, mine are just too pretty to hack up.

·
Registered
588 Posts
CustomVette said:
Hello Brutus

do you have some more pics about your 6 link rear end?

can I order this parts somewhere?

I think it's a good thing....and still never see so

thank's

roger
The one that Brutus has is made by himself and the one Norval's got is also homemade by Norval. Tom's Differential sells something similar to those other two.

Check it out here:

Tom's Differentials

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Other pics.....I have a few more.

One thing I did do during my 6 link build was to take lots of pics. I just haven't gotten around to documenting it very well yet. Didn't think too many would be interested in the way I went about it.

Btw, Roger...there's nothing to order really apart from the VB&P Smart Strut I bought to replace the original lower strut set up. All I did was to utilise the old left over parts and adapted them to make up the upper section of the 6 link. It was fiddly work, but nothing fancy really.

Bob

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Brutus and Norval, what did you guys do with the C-clips?

I was thinking, the 6 link would be really beneficial if you didn't have the upper and lower struts parrallel but angled a bit (lower one parrallel to 1/2 shaft, upper one angled a little down on the inside) so you can actually have it gain some negative camber. However, that would mean the 1/2 shaft would have to have a little play on the stub, so that it actually sticks out of the case a tad when the 1/2 shaft is horizontal (there's no angle so the horizontal component is the 1/2 shaft length and therefore at it's longest) and with the stub moving in during the rest of the travel (would be critical on the strut length so the stuff does not bind)

The best solution would be a toronado or viper type sliding shaft.

Any input on this?

Brutus, are you trying to make us all look jealous?? DANG that stuff looks GOOD, in fact it looks DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!

I got myself a new 380V MIG welder w/ AC/DC box on it, I think it's time I start hacking up that stuff too.

Thanks,

Marck

·
Registered
746 Posts
Brutus and Norval, what did you guys do with the C-clips?

I took my yokes out and ground the end off right to the clip groove. I then deburred the end and slid it back in the case. My yokes are free to slide in and out and can be pulled for inspection without removing the rearend. For those with worn yokes this could be the answer.

Brutus made a bracket that bolts to the rearend, the rearend is bolted to the crossmember.
I decide to short cut and went directly to the crossmember, ignoring the rearend bracket. A simple stud welded directly to the crossmember seems to work fine for me. I have had my 6 link for 2 summers and really like it. It keeps the tires planted flat on the road throught the suspension travel.

When it comes to looks Brutus is hard to beat. His car is immaculate.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My idea was to utilise the parts I had available and making it as simple as I could while keeping the costs down as well.
The idea for my own 6 link eventuated from the fact that when replacing my diff gears it was found that my C clips were non existant and the cost for replacement yolks was going to be far more than the finish cost of the 6 link hence the decision was easy. It was the execution that gave me headaches.:laughing:

Here you can see the 2 holes I drilled to mount the old strut brace to the diff. After more thought tho I decided to strengthen the mount so I added a piece of plate which allowed me to bolt to the front of the diff as well.

Sorry about the size of the pics Pat.

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts