Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aloha gang,
Lots of different opinions on fluids here. Im doing mine next chance i get. Curious as to what 6 speed fluid you went with and any issues? If any issues, can it truely be traced to tbe fluid change?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did a lot of research before I replaced the trans fluid in my 02 Z06. I used Dexron III ATF. That was about 5 000 miles ago and I've had no problems at all.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
What ever brand or blend you go with the fluid should meet or exceed GM's Dexron III ATF standard. That is the fluid type the transmission was built to run with.

I use a synthetic Dexron ATF myself

·
Registered
606 Posts
Although DEXRON-VI was introduced into production starting with 2006 model year vehicles (see bulletin 04-07-30-037D), there are still some misunderstandings about it. Here are some facts to help clear up these misunderstandings.

Since GM introduced the first service-fill specification for automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in 1949, it has been necessary periodically to upgrade the specification as part of a continuous improvement strategy.
The upgrading process ensures that available service fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the improved factory fill fluid performance.

IMPORTANT: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. But more important, earlier type fluids are NOT FORWARD COMPATIBLE with transmissions that were designed to use DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, in place of DEXRON-III (for instance, topping off the fluid in the event of a repair or fluid change). DEXRON-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRON for use in automatic transmissions.

TIP: Simply topping off the fluid is adequate, but a full drain and replacement is preferred, to obtain the full benefit.

IMPORTANT: DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is the only approved fluid for warranty repairs for GM transmissions requiring DEXRON-III or prior DEXRON transmission fluids.

TIP: Any vehicle that previously used DEXRON-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use p/n 88861800 (88861801 in Canada) Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. And power steering systems should now use p/n 89020661 (89021183 in Canada) Power Steering Fluid.

TIP: Since some early bulletins were issued, further validation has taken place and certain transfer cases and manual transmissions now DO use DEXRON-VI, so it's important to refer to the owner manual for appropriate recommendations.
All licenses for DEXRON-III expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed.

Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as "suitable for use in DEXRON-III applications" or similar wording should be avoided, because 'DEXRON-III' fluids are no longer checked and policed by GM and therefore may not be the originally tested and approved formulation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF. It is the #1 recommended product over at the corvetteforum.com and it is compatible with the GM specified stuff. Remember that under the Magneson-Moss Act if a company is going to require you to use a specific name brand product to validate a warranty, they have to provide that product for free.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I used the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF. It is the #1 recommended product over at the corvetteforum.com and it is compatible with the GM specified stuff. Remember that under the Magneson-Moss Act if a company is going to require you to use a specific name brand product to validate a warranty, they have to provide that product for free.
That is load of crap, using that other forum is even worse.

The MM act you can get more out of wiping your butt with it then using it in a court of law, the lawyers alone will cost more then the loss of warranty and they would not even give you a free blow job much less free parts and labor for the parts blown up with non approved fliuds/oils and GM now requires oils to be certified by them and not some "claim" to meet GM specs.

Anything free like advice, most likely is BS costing Corvette owners big bucks.

There is zero reason to switch from stock fluids unless racing all the time with high temps

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Good solid info! I'll either go with the DEX VI or the amsoil.

·
Registered
247 Posts
trans

Thanks. Good solid info! I'll either go with the DEX VI or the amsoil.
as i said i put moble 1 brand syn trans oil ... as i thought a syn would be good to do ..... after about six months i had hard shifting like synro's were not working .... i found some dex3 and did a change .... hard shifting is gone ... the syn came out looking like hot jello .... syn is Not good everywhere .....

·
Registered
606 Posts
as i said i put moble 1 brand syn trans oil ... as i thought a syn would be good to do ..... after about six months i had hard shifting like synro's were not working .... i found some dex3 and did a change .... hard shifting is gone ... the syn came out looking like hot jello .... syn is Not good everywhere .....
Bunk,
it sound more like you mixed types, ran fluid low or do not understand the trannie needs a cooler,
proof look at the C6s come with a cooler :spanked:

·
Registered
114 Posts

The MM act you can get more out of wiping your butt with it then using it in a court of law, the lawyers alone will cost more then the loss of warranty and they would not even give you a free blow job much less free parts and labor for the parts blown up with non approved fliuds/oils and GM now requires oils to be certified by them and not some "claim" to meet GM specs.

There is zero reason to switch from stock fluids unless racing all the time with high temps

an article with quotes from car companies that support my opinion. still, my opinion, your car, whatever.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2488.pdf

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

I agree,

You cant go wrong with the OEM Fill

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I use Motul but I have friends that swear by Royal Purple Syncromax

:cheers:

·
Registered
247 Posts
trans

Bunk,
it sound more like you mixed types, ran fluid low or do not understand the trannie needs a cooler,
proof look at the C6s come with a cooler :spanked:
since i was there and you were not ... i guess i know what was done and when i treat my C5 much better then most .... as for the trans cooler .... to bad GM did not get off there ass an put one in the C5 ..... last of all i did say the shifting was better now ...
proof is in the doing .... if you or anyone else would like ask what was done ... i will be happy to put you in touch with the 3 exGM line mech's i use ..... i have no reason to lie about anything i do on this site ......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts