Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Changing to 3.73 makes sense, when you are looking purely for acceleration and you have to live with a speedlimit.
When you are going for topspeed (you know: no speedlimit on the german Autobahn. Here it is more usual to compete in the topspeed range than to dragrace from the traffic light) then the 3.73 would be a bad mistake.
My 99 FRC (minor mods: blackwing, throttle body, LS6 intake, open exhaust) makes exactly 6000 rpm in fifth gear with the 3.42 axle, that's 184mph, with the 3.73 this would only be 167mph and when you remove the rev limiter, it would rev to death.
The sixth gear however is way too long, it's purely an overdrive, full throttle in sixth gear will result in a topspeed of about 145mph.
So for topspeed concerns the 3.42 is perfect. I have to say respect to the Corvette engineers for that perfect matching.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know the perimeter of the CTS V's rear tires, but let's assume it's roughly the same than the Corvette has.
When GM states the CTS V's topspeed at 171 than this means the Caddy has the MM6 tranny with 5th 0.74:1. If you would combine the M12 of the Z06(5th 0.84:1) with the 3.73 axle, you would run into fuel shutoff at 6600rpm / 162mph.
So again (considering the much better aerodynamics of the Corvette and the rev range of the LS6) the overall drive ratio of the CTS V seems to me equaly perfect than the 3.42 of the LS1 Corvette.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.