Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Let me start by saying the only performance car I have owned so far, was a '69 Roadrunner with a 383ci, 4 on the floor and 3.23 gears in the rear end, a nice all around muscle car. (I once put 4.11 gears in the Roadrunner and what a difference that made, awesome off the line but sucks on the freeway.) I am planning to buy a used '99 or '00 Corvette next spring and I want to use my experiences with the Roadrunner as a starting point in picking a good transmission / rear end gear combination. (Only 2 possible rear end gear choices available with the 6-speed transmission, right?)

My question is...

Does the 6-speed transmission act like a 4-speed that has the traditional 4 forward gears (in this case, gears 2,3,4,5) with an additional lower than normal gear (1st) and an overdrive gear (6th), higher than the 4th gear in the 4-speed? (In which case you would get great off the line performance and great freeway driving / gas mileage.) Or...

Is the 6-speed just 6 gears matched to the 4-speed’s range of gears? (No extra low 1st and no overdrive.) In which rear end gear selection would be more critical.) What is the advantage to this setup?

The reason I ask is I hear some Corvette owners talking about how it really makes a difference to get the performance rear end gears. Also, how badly does the rear end gear selection effect the mileage?

Mike:smokin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.

Wow, 2 overdrive gears was not one of my thoughts but it makes sense. Now I know how the car gets the top end and why lower gears in the rear end really help off the line.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.