Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Harrison radiator in my stock '61 never had a blue ID plate installed on the top, right-hand side (must not have been the original). I have since purchased a new plate based on the VIN, to which all pertinent data has been stamped. What I need to know is if any of you experts out there know exactly where it should be located (dimension wise) on the top right-hand side?

·
Registered
0 Posts
A tough one perhaps...

I think you may want to talk to DeWitts...

"The first aluminum radiator (3147516) was used on 1960 high-performance (270/290Hp) Corvettes. This radiator had an aluminum overflow tank attached to the top and is therefore commonly referred to as a “top tank”. This tank was not a pressured expansion tank. The first version featured a smooth flat top and had no plastic coolant-level viewing plug. The radiator was unpainted and used a 13-psi pressure cap.

In the middle of the 1960 production year, five ribs were added to the top of the tank for added strength. Shortly after that change, the plastic coolant-level sight hole was added, creating yet a third version of the radiator.

The radiator part number changed to 3151116 for the early 1961 (270/315) high performance Corvettes and was used up to Vin. number 1700. The only change made to the radiator was an aluminum nipple and coupling was added to the assembly. None of the original production versions were painted. Only GM service parts were painted black. Due to the limited number of cars and the three possible versions, we choose to reproduce the final version 3151116 shown... ."

DeWitts

Early '61 high HP SB's (270/315HP) had integrated overflow tanks buit into the top of the radiator. An aluminum plate with blue and black printing was screwed into the expansion tank or the radiator.

The '61, with integral expansion tank, had a green and white label on top of the radiator, just right of center.

All other '61's with fender mounted expansion tanks received a silver foil radiator label (adhesive backed) and the little green tag ('56/'57) reappeared below the expansion tank neck of the '61.

[Corvette Black Book]

C'ya
D

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Great post, Dann. I had already sent an e-mail to Tom DeWitt hoping he could comment. Great minds think alike.:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
114 Posts
The radiator above is really pretty rare and only used on a few early 61's. The more common 1961 radiator was the GM 3150916 (our #943). This radiator did not have the big tank shown above but rather had the surge tank mounted on the engine. This radiator had the tag on the top of the radiator over to the passenger side. It was screwed down with two #2 screws so there shouldn't be any confusion were it goes. You will see two holes for the screws in the top plate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, you guys are the best! Thanks!!

Since mine is the 245hp set-up, I determined I've got radiator p/n 3150916 (found p/n stamped on top of readiator) w/ the expansion tank. And this is why I thought the radiator should have the blue labled plate, but there are not any small screw holes on the top plate (passenger side of radiator).
I planned to drill the holes through the top plate, but would like a n exact measurement first. Anyone have a '61 they could measure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
That first aluminum radiator was developed by a team from Harrison Radiator & Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical in Buffalo, NY. My father, Marshall C. Brown, was the metallurgist on the project and they used a 1960 Edsel as the test vehicle. Mark Brown, Middletown, VA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts