Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of my first frame off restoration on a 66 conv. I am trying to make up my mind on which way to go. First let me start out with a little background on the car. It was orginally a small block car that was fitted with a 1967 427/435 tri-power in the early 70's. I have already disassemblied the car and had the frame blasted and powder coated. I ordered all new parts to get a rolling chasis adding offset trailing arms. Do you think I should sell the 67 427 and put a newer big block in the car, or put that motor back in it and drive it? The tri-power setup looks wild and has already been completely rebuilt by Holley's custom shop. As for the body it has those rather large finder flares that are coming off, but I want a wider rim and tire combo. The offset trailing arms will help but do you have any advise on rims and tires? I can see a big block monster lowered on a set of 17 X 10 on the rear and 17 X 8 on the front. Ideas and pictures will help. Thanks

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Z06magna said:
I am in the middle of my first frame off restoration on a 66 conv. I am trying to make up my mind on which way to go. First let me start out with a little background on the car. It was orginally a small block car that was fitted with a 1967 427/435 tri-power in the early 70's. I have already disassemblied the car and had the frame blasted and powder coated. I ordered all new parts to get a rolling chasis adding offset trailing arms. Do you think I should sell the 67 427 and put a newer big block in the car, or put that motor back in it and drive it? The tri-power setup looks wild and has already been completely rebuilt by Holley's custom shop. As for the body it has those rather large finder flares that are coming off, but I want a wider rim and tire combo. The offset trailing arms will help but do you have any advise on rims and tires? I can see a big block monster lowered on a set of 17 X 10 on the rear and 17 X 8 on the front. Ideas and pictures will help. Thanks
I'd sure like to see some pics of this '66!

Personally, I'd hot-rod it. I'd make a badass ride that was meant just for me. :cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey..I'd Hot Rod it!! I'd for sure keep the tri-power and build a serious motor under it. They built one into a 496 with AFR heads in last months Corvette Enthusiast. Made 655 HP with a hyd roller and Tripower!!

Good heads and cam can get you into the 575-600 range on a 427 even without too much work.

Not sure how big the flares are, but mine has had little lip flares on the rear since at least '71 from the pics I have. They will remain forever. In fact I have several friends who have actually ADDED flares to their midyears. Going all stock is boring!

JIM

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,439 Posts
Sell the old big block to someone that is going original and get a real ground pounding thumper motor stuffed in it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hot Rod Custom it is! I will post some pictures soon. I am taking pictures from start to finish. The body work is going to take a while. It needs alot of TLC. The flares are big and the back fin must go but I will get there. I am looking into replacing almost every panel on the car. What are your thoughts on the one piece front ends for driver/weekend show car? Should I spend the extra money for the pre-assemblied multi-piece front end? One more: what do I need to change in the drivetrain to handle 500-550 HP? The driveshaft looks small. I don't plan on running slicks but do plan on smoking the tires to third gear.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Here's an idea...Sell that original 427 and make some nice bucks off it. Then, if you find the right buyer youll have enough for a 502 and such. You can always find a deal here and there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Z06magna said:
Even with offset trailing arms...you are not getting 17x10's on the rear unless you widen the rear fenders. I personally dont like the fender flares. However there have been many that have put the wider fenders that dont flare and almost look stock. You should be able to get the 17x10's with offset trailing arms and the wider fenders. The 17x8's on the front will be pushing it a little. I would probably go the crate motor route. The 502 will have a few extra mods that you will have to go through but not too bad. The crate 454 from GM will go in with less hassle.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Z06magna said:
Hot Rod Custom it is! I will post some pictures soon. I am taking pictures from start to finish. The body work is going to take a while. It needs alot of TLC. The flares are big and the back fin must go but I will get there. I am looking into replacing almost every panel on the car. What are your thoughts on the one piece front ends for driver/weekend show car? Should I spend the extra money for the pre-assemblied multi-piece front end? One more: what do I need to change in the drivetrain to handle 500-550 HP? The driveshaft looks small. I don't plan on running slicks but do plan on smoking the tires to third gear.:thumbsup:
Did you get started yet? Come up with any more ideas?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Project Update

I have almost got it back to a rolling chasis. The frame was blast and powder coated along with many other parts. I am waiting on the return of the rearend and transmission. I have decided to build a 454 and still use the tri-power setup for that old school look. I did contact NOS about a 175hp shot for a little more go. I hope to get 500hp from the motor and then have the NOS for backup. I will post pictures soon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts