Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you read my last post I could not find out what the hell was wrong with my 66 it would not idle properly. Well I sent it to Cor-Vette Masters of Maitland Fl and they found the problem that no one else could figure out. The carb was not seating to the manifold properly letting raw fuel to leak into the intake causing the ruff startng, fouling of plugs and idling like ---- and that the needle and seat was not correct. causing the problem of adjusting the carb. While it was there I ask them to put my side exhaust on. It was taken off years ago by someother owner. cant wait to get it back and start driving again. I will attach pitcures when I get it back. thanks to all the replies I received they did help. Thanks agian this is a great site
:cheers: :buhbye:

·
Registered
501 Posts
carb seating to the manifold was not the cause of rough idle, but a leaky needle/seat could do it...sounds to me like that repair shop is ''shinin'' (also known as b/s+take the money and run)

i normally test carbs with 5 psi gas feed, on a four-post carb stand on my bench (carb is 3 inches up in the air) after rebuilding to check for leaks...that's ''looser'' than sitting on the manifold, for sure, and any leaks on this test are not ''altitude related''....also, until the tech inspectors finally figured it out, some of the local circle track racers would purposely leave the carb (two-barrel holley in this case) loose to gain extra airflow thru the ''leak under the carb'' when the carb linkage was pulled back to its wide-open stop (some mods reqd to add fuel also) --those would start and idle normally.

been a while since my 66 vette (i bought it new in dec 65, traded it in on a new 68), but IIRC those had 4-hole holley carbs...with the air cleaner removed, you can see gas bubbling over from the carb vent if one of the two needle/seats is leaking...there are also ''sight plugs'' in the side of the carb float bowls, specifically there to check float setting, but gas running out when the float has been adjusted down is indicative of a bad needle/seat .

sidepipes on those were a bit more ''heartbeat'' than desireable on long runs, cure was to carefully cut thru the ''turnout'' end piece, rotate the turnout and reweld (cover hides the weld)..or wear earplugs:laughing:

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66 idle problem

thanks for the input thats why I love this site. I know they sent the carb back to the rebuilder who originally rebuilt the carb. So i would love to know what he found. I am sure he will let me know what really was wrong. if thats not the problem, what the mechanic said, i will have a long talk with them. I do not need to be BS just let me know whats wrong and fix the damn thing.

As to the side pipes I just love the sound. I really do not go to far with the car ,but if I do, I will do as you say invest in ear plugs. Just love that sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts