Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you had a 66 vert vette. The car does not have the original 427 or tranny. So, now you really can't make a perfectly matching numbers car. What would you do for a radical build? To make the car a beast, a complete show stopper? What engine cube would you go with? Supercharger or not? The car has a bored out 70 model LT1 I believe. The car was aquired to my father after the death of my cousin who, he and my father liked to hot rod. The heads I have traced back to an original lt code from 70. The block I'm not so sure. My dad was thinking that they did a lot of bore to the heads with different valves and more work on the bottom half. I truely think the car has around a 377 or more. We know it is bored 60 in the cylinder walls, we just dont know the crank specs, connecting rod length, and cam size. The intake was a Gm intake I believe that went to an LT1. All of that evidence leads me to believe it's an LT1 engine dropped in with a few goodies. That engine I am thinking is too dangerous to run for cruises as it will prob run hot from the .60 bore and big cam. So, with that said, what kind of block? Maybe a Texas Speed 408, 418, or 427. I really want to run a small block rather than a big block. They're just not practical (sorry for the big block guys ;) ). Also, maybe a nice little shot to boost for self gratification on a win. :laughing: I'd like this car to be ungodly. Now, to tranny, I already have a heavy duty rock crusher, and the rear is 373 factory. What all would you do to beef that up to make it hold?

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I would want to slam it to the ground, modern suspension, but in a big block crate motor, like a 572. Sidepipes, and a 19" set of TT2's or some vintage wheel.

As for restoring it... :laughing: ... yea right.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I would want to slam it to the ground, modern suspension, but in a big block crate motor, like a 572. Sidepipes, and a 19" set of TT2's or some vintage wheel.

As for restoring it... :laughing: ... yea right.
:agree::partyon: :partyon: :partyon: And then go out and embarrass a few exotics:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
What would I do? Well I guess you can check out Hotrod 66. I would go all the way to ultimate! No, first you need to have a budget or you could end up like me.:nuts: A supercharged small block is still mean but you have to strengthen all the weak points and that will depend on how much horsepower you want. That's what I love about building a car, making it yours. Do what you want and the heck with resale value.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What would I do? Well I guess you can check out Hotrod 66. I would go all the way to ultimate! No, first you need to have a budget or you could end up like me.:nuts: A supercharged small block is still mean but you have to strengthen all the weak points and that will depend on how much horsepower you want. That's what I love about building a car, making it yours. Do what you want and the heck with resale value.
Solid advice on the budget. I'm living through this with my '64 project.:thud: I don't have the coin to go over the top, so I'm trying to keep the spend reasonable while still fulfilling the dream! Seems like it's been two steps forward then two right back again though.

I'm just sticking with the rebuilt 327 she's got now and will pull as much HP as we can out of that. I've worried that I'm now droping a lot of money into a project that will not yeild much in the end... but, like you said, "the heck with resale value".... Just have fun with it! The plan was to enjoy it for a long time anyway!

Go nuts with it and enjoy!:partyon:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I had ideas of electron blue paint with black interior or the update mont red 2 with the factory buckskin. The car was originally milano maroon.

As for the whole big block debate, unless you are building ungodly power as in 800-top fuel they are not that great. The new small blocks with good part are cheaper, high reving, and still hold the torque and horsepower that the old big blocks have. if big blocks were still practical, don't you think you'd still see them in the vette with a 427 emblem strapped to it. Too heavy, and the new small block version are just so versitile.

Anyone know the most power a Rockcrush can withstand?

I think around 700 to the wheels would be awesome. My dad has always wanted that number for some odd reason. I've heard a few say 700 is all you want on the street that is able to stay reasonably safe with power to ground issues. I think a 427 ls7 or lq9 could withstand that with a procharger or vortec strapped on. I think I want to keep the stock hood. They looked so badass and timeless.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Seen something about 69 vette shark I think it was in vette mag the guy was a aussie but was DC member it was black you might to seek him out because that vette was :thumbsup: Then some:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had the same question several years ago. I decided for TT2 18 inchers, tubbing, small block aluminum stroker, 5 speed, Porsche BiTurbo Brakes, 4 inches lowering.
Check my gallery.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meat head1, I saw that... I'll have to go back and find that. Thanks for reminding me about that example.

Frank, I'll have to take a look at that.

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Meat head1, I saw that... I'll have to go back and find that. Thanks for reminding me about that example.

Frank, I'll have to take a look at that.

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:
I found the mag it was DEC12 2006 issue its called KILLER SHARK 700 horse 69 down under
WEB site is www.vetteweb.com the guys name who owns the vette is Andrew Felton he is a member of DC as mention in the vette mag how cool is that:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
486 Posts
Suggestion?

I know what I did...and it works for me.
Tubbed for sure, with it down near the ground. Blower thru the hood. Small block is OK, but you just can't beat the torque of that BB. :thumbsup: Glenn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts