Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch pedal on my 69 big block vette seems quite high to me. I assumed that it should be even with the brake pedal.
It currrently is around 4 inches farther raised than the brake pedal. I would say it probably couldn't go up any higher in the resting position.

I am not having any problems with the clutch (like slipping ro grinding). It also has constant resistance the entire way as I push down on the pedal.

Is the clutch pedal on a big block 4 speed supposed to be in this location or even with the brake?

has anyone else have a similar setup?

If this is not normal, does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this and what can I look at to fix it and place it in the normal location?

The reason I want to adjust it if it is not right is because after a while in traffic, a leg can get tired pushing the clutch that far.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
83 Posts
They should be close to even. One of three pieces may have gotten switched out, causing the difference
1) The clutch fork
2) the rod from the clutch fork to the piviot arm
3) Wrong pivot arm

I would start there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Q is used for adjusting pedal travel, but from what you described, not sure if there is that much adjustment.

I was referring to B, F, and J. If someone removed or replaced engine they may have switched one or more of those out.

Start with Q and adjust to see if you can get it to be more in line with the brake.

But look at the other three items and see if they resemble the ones shown on the Mid America link

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I adjust the Q, will it effect the clutch working correctly?
My local mechanic mentioned if he adjusted the height the clutch might stop working.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It could, that's why you have to look at the entire system to see if all the dimensions are correct. If someone put in a different component it changes the ultimate alignment of the completed linkage, and your pedal height.

So for example if the length of the clutch rod (F) had been changed the length of Q had to be adjusted to give you more travel to operate the clutch properly, and why it sets so much higher than your brake pedal.

PM me and tonight I will see if my assembly manual has some measurements for you to work with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts