Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 350 with 65000 original miles was gona add some hooker headers but figured id do a little more and by adding a top end kit which inncludes cam, aluminum heads, and intake?? any recomendations or do's or dont's?? I was really looking into the edelbrock 2098 ?? running about $1800 anything out there better or different ideas or opinins??:crazy Power Package; Top End Kit; 410 HP; Incl. Intake/Heads/Camshaft And Lifters/Gasket Set/Bolt Kits;
All In One Box Convenience
Includes Almost Everything You Need
Make Things Easier In Parts Selection
Matched Parts Available Under One Part Number
#7102 - Performer RPM Hydraulic Cam & Lifters for Early Model Blocks

#60899 (2) - Performer RPM Cylinder Heads, Complete
#6997 - Timing Cover Gasket & Seal Set
#7361 - Cylinder Head Gasket Set
7501 - RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifold
#8504 - Intake Manifold Bolt Kit
#8550 - Cylinder Head Bolt Set

edelbrock2098-1.jpg

·
Registered
339 Posts
with an older engine I really would consider freshening up the bottom end before adding that kit , on a new crate or fresh rebuild its one thing but that could be a real shock to a 42 year old engine, plus you would have the benifits of a fresh motor

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with an older engine I really would consider freshening up the bottom end before adding that kit , on a new crate or fresh rebuild its one thing but that could be a real shock to a 42 year old engine, plus you would have the benifits of a fresh motor
What would you recommend if you were in my shoes with my car?? Go for the crate engine and if so what kind and would I now also have 2 freshen up trans. And rearend??? If not the crate engine any ideas on what 2 do 2 my stock car just to give it a little more power if I already have the Hooker headers and magnaflow :huh: complete exhaust system? ??

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't think an engine with only 60K miles is too worn out for a top end kit.

I put a Holley SysteMax II top end kit (similar to the Edlebrock kit you've shown) on my L-82 when it had only 70k miles on it, and haven't had any problems, just more HP and Torque! As long as you've got decent compression all the way around, a top end kit is an inexpensive way to get a little more performance from a stock engine.

Now if I ever get around to adding more power, then I plan on refreshing the bottom end...and beefing up the drivetrain to handle the extra power.

Also, be aware that there will be minor tweeks you'll have to make when you're adding aluminum heads: They're just a bit bigger than OEM, so you'll be making adjustments to bracketry etc, to get everything to fit, nothing major though, you might have to hog out a mounting hole in a stock bracket, or have a taller spacer made for mounting an EGR valve (probably not an issue on a 69) like I had to.

Totally worth it if you're on a budget!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't think an engine with only 60K miles is too worn out for a top end kit.

I put a Holley SysteMax II top end kit (similar to the Edlebrock kit you've shown) on my L-82 when it had only 70k miles on it, and haven't had any problems, just more HP and Torque! As long as you've got decent compression all the way around, a top end kit is an inexpensive way to get a little more performance from a stock engine.

Now if I ever get around to adding more power, then I plan on refreshing the bottom end...and beefing up the drivetrain to handle the extra power.

Also, be aware that there will be minor tweeks you'll have to make when you're adding aluminum heads: They're just a bit bigger than OEM, so you'll be making adjustments to bracketry etc, to get everything to fit, nothing major though, you might have to hog out a mounting hole in a stock bracket, or have a taller spacer made for mounting an EGR valve (probably not an issue on a 69) like I had to.

Totally worth it if you're on a budget!:thumbsup:
60K miles is one thing but on a 42year old engine its another

OP Depending on your mechanical skill level, I would consider disassembling the short block and have it magnafluxed and checked, if it has been well taken care of you should be able to get by with a basic over haul on it (hone, replace bearings, rings pistons, freeze plugs, new oil pump,timing gear and gasket) you should be able to get it done for under $600 even having the machine shop do the assemble

basic rebuild kit is only $230

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-SBCKIT1-000/

And this with the top end kit would give you a good bang for your buck

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

:agree:, but that also depends on how well the previous owners took care of it. When I pulled mine a year ago with 121202 on the odometer the machine shop said my bores and bottom end were in great shape and all my valves and valve springs were in great shape, but on the same note my brothers 74 had little over 60k and the rod started knocking. When you pull the valve covers and intake look for a bunch of hard carbon sludge deposits and if alot of it is present chances are good maintenance wasn't practiced. Hope this helps and good luck on whatever you decided to do:thumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
OP I would also suggest measuring an RMP airgap intake to check for hood clearance, the stock performer is 4 inches and requires the use of a drop base air cleaner, you may find yourself in a bad spot when you go to close the hood with that intake.

Im running an ACC RPM Cyclone Airgap which is about an inch or so taller then the Standard Edelbrock RPM and even with out the spacer the choke horn on my holley is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 of an inch thru the top of my hood

you can measure an intake with a straight edge and a tape measure place the straight edge on the carb mounting surface of the intake and measure the distance from the bottom of the intake in the center to the bottom of the straight edge front and back then add the 2 numbers up (front of intake center to straight edge + rear of intake center to straight edge) divide that number by 2 and it will give you the overall heighth of the intake

Don't want to see you have to buy a hood or cut a hole in your hood unless you know in advance that you will have to

Below is a pic of the ACC rpm airgap, one inch spacer with a holley 4011 and mocked up fuel line (spacer is now gone as is the cobbled up fuel line) but this should give you an idea of what the airgaps look like on and why you might want to measure first

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awsome you guys have been a great help i guess i will begin to take apart the top and see how its looking from there?? :laughing: My father owned this car and bought in new in 69 so hes maintained the car pretty well but it to has sat in a garage for a few years now just pull it out in the summer to clean but hardly ever driven so wana just clean up the engine give it a little power just to take out to local car shows or drive down to the beach on nice sunny days..... :cheers: View attachment 1725

corvette1.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts