Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used '70-77 aluminum rocker panel moldings on a '68 or '69 Vette? I just pulled the stock ones off my '69 because a jack had damaged the fiberglass on one of them. I like the look of the '70-77 aluminum, but I want to make sure they will bolt up. Thanks!

·
Registered
855 Posts
It took me about a year to realize that somebody took a passenger side 70-77 rocker panel and painted the bottom half black to match my drivers side stock black 69 two piece panel. Here are the pics...you really can't tell the difference and it bolts right up.

Original 69 panel

70~77 panel converted to look like a 69 panel

If your passenger side is in good shape I would be interested in buying it and yes it is a direct bolt on between the years.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the info!! Unfortunately my passenger side panel is the one with some damage on it. The damage is about 4 inches wide and 1 tall. It looks like the arm of a jack or lift hit it. I am sure it could be repaired. You can get an idea of the damage from this pic (cut and paste into browser):

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/showphoto.php/photo/56705/size/big/cat//ppuser/62087

If you are not interested I will probably put them on Ebay. I am amazed at how expensive they are compared to the '70-'77s. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The holes dont line up from 69 to the later rocker panels.
I bought a set of 70's aluminum ones to replace my fiberglass ones (didnt want to cut my stock ones to fit around hooker sidepipes).
When I placed the later one against the car, the holes do not line up with the factory screw inserts, I would have had to drill new holes...didnt want to do that.

Nick

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you are right! Thanks for that info, I wouldn't have caught that.

When I removed mine I noticed there were already some new holes drilled to hold the black fiberglass panel on since some of the black phillips screws were rusted in place, so I may go ahead with the newer panels anyway. I'll post some info on how this goes. Thanks again for the good info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts