Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, there is no barn involved, and I did not just find it, I have known about this Z for several years.

The guy that owns this is the second owner and bought it when he was in High School. He is retired now so he has had it for many years. I can see it from my garage so it hurts almost daily to watch it rot away. The owner is traveling the country by RV now and has leased the house to another family, so this is the first time I have had a real up close look at the car since we are taking care of their dogs this week.

It is an authentic Z/28, because I copied the VIN to make sure. It has the full gauge setup on the console and dash. It is a four speed car with the original 302. This is the only Z I am aware of that does not have the cowl hood, not sure if this is the original hood or not. The owner swears he is going to restore it, but I will be really surprised if he does. I have offered to take it off his hands, but that is not an option in his book.

Here are a few pics I took this morning,

Here is some snake skin behind the back seat. Not sure what else has lived inside the Z:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
damn shame.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
its gonna take a lot to restore that car...wish he'd let you take it off his hands....would be really interesting if it was from the factory without the cowl hood...

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I remember when you first posted about that car when they moved in. It's a shame they are going to just let it rot away...same old story though, "I'm going to restore it."

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
He can't even cut his grass, nevermind restore that. :rolling:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just Sad !!!:huh:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
makes me wanna cry, i hate people like that. what you need to do is get in good with his heirs- they will get it when he dies :rolling:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother was at my house this afternoon and we started talking about the Z. He is looking for a project car and really wants to do a first gen Camaro. We went over there so he could get a closer look. He saw that the keys are actually in the ignition! He opened the drivers door and pulled the keys to open the trunk to see how much rust was in there. This car does have a bad case of rust so not sure if it would be a good project or a money pit. We opened the hood and found a small block with headers and a holley carb with mechanical secondaries.

My brother was not sold on the idea it was a real Z since there was no cowl hood or rear spoiler. I told him about the VIN but he told me that there is no real way to prove it by the VIN. The VIN only identifies models not options and the Z/28 was an option. I learned something new today!!

Anyway, while the door was opened, I took a shot of the interior:

·
Registered
587 Posts
i owned 3 new Z-28s,67,68 and 69 and none with the hood. i preferred the 67 style fresh air intake that took the fresh air from the heater plenum in front of the windshield which i added to the 68 and 69. my cars had stripes deleat option so no one knew they were Z-28s.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're Going to have to sell this guy on selling this car. We all no he's never going to get around to restoring it, you need to have that conversation with him. Money talks, don't just let him know your interested. Show him. Make some offers and make sure he knows it'd be going to someone who has the time anf resources to give it the tlc it deserves. Deep down im sure he'd like to see it in uts true glory rather than rotting as it has been for the last 30 years.... Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
69 z28

Just restored a 69 SS Camaro Ramjet 502.

Replaced every part on car that was offered after market.

Basically I kept the grill from the original car and every thing else is new.

Spent near $80,000.00

Will post pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
That's painful to look at. I bought a '69 Z28 from a friend in 1969 when it had less than 2000 miles on it. He got a girl pregnant and was going to have a shotgun wedding. I traded my '66 Olds 442 with it's note for his new Z28 and it's note. I drove it for 2 years before I went into the Navy. I say all of that to say - it did not have a cowl hood, because I was always on the prowl to buy one, but could never find one I could afford. The cowl hood was definitely an option, and most new ones didn't have it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts