Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started thinking that it would look cool to modify the '70-72 side grills to cut out the horizontal bars and leave just the vertical louvers so it had more of a '67 look.

Just curious if anyone here has ever seen this done and if you have a picture you could post?

If no one has ever seen it, it could be because the casting isn't strong enough without the horizontal structure and might crack pretty quickly in normal driving conditions. Anyone have any experience with this or at least an opinion from another amateur stress analyst?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I think that could look very good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just picked up an extra set to try exactly that. When the weather warms up, I'm going to get the dremel out and start working on it. The casting seems pretty solid (but that could just be the cross bracing). Hopefully someone with experience will chime in. Otherwise, we'll soon see. :D

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Looking at my wife's '70, that looks like it'll be a helluva grind!

I might suggest adding a portable belt sander I just saw at Harbor Freight to your fabrication toolage. Looks like the motor housing of a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder with a 1/2 inch wide x 9 inch long belt sander attachment. Only $29!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Seems like a waste of potentially expensive inserts. Consider making molds from your originals, laying up some fiberglass inserts, then trimming those the way you want them.

If they turn out good, you could be on your way to joining the Corvette aftermarket.

After the 73s came out, Eckler fabbed up fiberglass inserts for the 70-72s which had the 73 and later style fender vents and fit in place of the stock units.

:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts