Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LIke some other posters elsewhere I go on about that POS 700 r4 tranny for any C3 or any other car for that matter, that tranny has kept the economy going for a long time now....terminal oiling/cooling issues in the 3/4 clutch pack is best as I can find out...among other terminal failure issues for hi performance....so....

are my opinions/information largely correct?? or am I off base here, and just exactly why am I off base, if so....

it doesn't last in a pickup, or any other vechicle, by the premature failure counts....

looking for other tranny guys input...

:devil:

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was a fan of the later 700R4's for Trucks.... Deep 1st and an overdrive 4th :thumbsup:

I built an 87 Astrovan with a L98 TPI motor and a 700R4/NP208 setup on a 100,000 mile 700R4 that came behind the original 4.3 v6. The only upgrade was a corvette servo!! I changed the fluid and filter every 30,000 and ran it another 150,000 miles. Oh I forgot the Astro van was sporting a Dana 44 front and a Corp 14 bolt full floater axles and 4 wheel disks. I reinforced the "Unibody frame" with 3/16 steel and made 2x3 cross members. It was 5800 lbs and I pulled a 4500 lb trailer all over the eastern states when I was racing motorcycles.

I had an 84 chevy pickup that the 700R4 grenaded after 51,000 miles.

FWIW

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I've built a few 700's and 200's and 350's and 400's and a host of other GM trannys. If you build a post 1989 700, use the correct shift kit, and make sure you've got the late rear planetary set, they work pretty well. Few other little tricks in there too, but all normal things that should be done during a standard rebuild.

:cheers:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well as you know Gene im a fan of the 700r4,if built right.I love the low 1st gear in it,great for off the line. Ive beat opn my for a while now and so far has held up.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I've built a few 700's and 200's and 350's and 400's and a host of other GM trannys. If you build a post 1989 700, use the correct shift kit, and make sure you've got the late rear planetary set, they work pretty well. Few other little tricks in there too, but all normal things that should be done during a standard rebuild.

:cheers:
:agree: 89 and later seems to be the key.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I had a well known shop build me the best 700R they could and I blew it up 3 times that summer. I also ran the lock up converter and it could never begin to stay locked when under even a slight load.
I was glad to get rid of it and that is when I went to the standard overdrive tranny.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have ran a 700r4 behind a blown 383 stroker in a 53 chevy for several years low 12's and 17-18 mpg on the road. plus I have never missed a shift...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts