Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Bowtie Overdrive Crossmember yesterday, and of course I went to intstall it immediately. First I weighed it. It's 18lbs, the stock crossmember is about 23lbs. Only a 5lb savings, but it looks much better. My early 700R4 has two trans mount positions. I had been using the rearmost with my stock crossmember. The Bowtie crossmember wants to use the front trans mount and there is major interference between the crossmember and the rear mount. What's up with that. Do later 700R4s not have the rear mount? What should I do. Find a later tailpiece. Order the 80 Crossmember? Help!

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's realy odd. Almost looks like it should be mounted backwards. Obviously the pully bracket wouldn't work, but it looks like the mount would be in the right place.

Have you called Bowtie?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's realy odd. Almost looks like it should be mounted backwards. Obviously the pully bracket wouldn't work, but it looks like the mount would be in the right place.

Have you called Bowtie?
Do they open on Saturdays. It's only 7am here. I'll try later.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I got my Bowtie Overdrive Crossmember yesterday, and of course I went to intstall it immediately. First I weighed it. It's 18lbs, the stock crossmember is about 23lbs. Only a 5lb savings, but it looks much better. My early 700R4 has two trans mount positions. I had been using the rearmost with my stock crossmember. The Bowtie crossmember wants to use the front trans mount and there is major interference between the crossmember and the rear mount. What's up with that. Do later 700R4s not have the rear mount? What should I do. Find a later tailpiece. Order the 80 Crossmember? Help!
You do have an odd tail piece. Mine bolted to the two that you have unused in this picture forward from the cross member

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do have an odd tail piece. Mine bolted to the two that you have unused in this picture forward from the cross member
What'sup cool-g? I guess we're all over here today.
That's what I thought. How hard is it to change tailpieces? Can I do it with the trans in the car? I wonder if Bowtie makes a crossmeber that uses the rear most mount.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Mount it to the tranny. Use the tranny mount they supply.:thumbsup:
I have another trans mount pad where the crossmember bar wants to be. Yours only has one mount pad. What year trans do you have?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I'd be a little concerned about mounting the trans that far back. The tail housing is pretty thin, and only held on with 4 bolts and a 3/16 flange. Not hard to change- pull the speedo adapter, remove the 4 bolts, and it'll come right off. Put some anti seize on the bolts when you go back- the steel bolts tend to corrode in the trans case. I've twisted a few off and had to drill and tap. Looks like your speedo adapter is leaking too. Get a new oring.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That pic gkull posted looks like most 700's. I wonder if there is a plate or something that's missing from the mount. Thinking about it, I don't recall seeing a mount that was exclusive to the tail housing. SOme of the later Vettes and F bodies had a torque arm that mounted to the side of the tail housing, but still had the rear mount ON the case. Even the 4x4's had the mount on the the case.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That pic gkull posted looks like most 700's. I wonder if there is a plate or something that's missing from the mount. Thinking about it, I don't recall seeing a mount that was exclusive to the tail housing. SOme of the later Vettes and F bodies had a torque arm that mounted to the side of the tail housing, but still had the rear mount ON the case. Even the 4x4's had the mount on the the case.
My old brain is starting to remember. I did this 700R4 conversion over 20 years ago. Yep, I was blazing trails. Did the conversion before it was cool. But I think I used my 350 Turbo tail piece so that I could keep my 79 Vette yoke and driveshaft. The '82 driveshaft that came with the tranny would not mount up to my rear end, so I had the stock driveshaft shortened. I guess I need to find a 700R4 tailshaft that will accept my 79 yoke.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
UHH....I understand the mount strength issue, but it WAS provided at one point by GM, it must be ok, too elementary to screw up THAT.....

but I gotta ASK, BJ, you bothering to dick around with what apprently was allready installed??? it works, leave it alone,???

I had a Muncie car, so had to widen the pass tranny hump to clear that servo...about 2" worth....AND cut hole in it with access plate to get at the tranny cooler lines....steel all the way....i'ts nutz when you cant get at your nuts....

:D

·
Registered
588 Posts
My old brain is starting to remember. I did this 700R4 conversion over 20 years ago. Yep, I was blazing trails. Did the conversion before it was cool. But I think I used my 350 Turbo tail piece so that I could keep my 79 Vette yoke and driveshaft. The '82 driveshaft that came with the tranny would not mount up to my rear end, so I had the stock driveshaft shortened. I guess I need to find a 700R4 tailshaft that will accept my 79 yoke.

I did mine about 20 years ago also. I customized my cross member for the 700 tranny mount and made the exhaust out wider away from the tranny. I just shorted my drive shaft

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I did mine about 20 years ago also. I customized my cross member for the 700 tranny mount and made the exhaust out wider away from the tranny. I just shorted my drive shaft
being a muncie car I just modded up the stock tranny mount/shoe....bolts about 1" lower and further back about 2?".....

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
use the mount on the case, take off the tailpiece and grind off the additional mount for clearance. Issue resolved. Finding a 700r4 tailpiece set up for a mech. speedo may not be very easy.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
That's what I tried to do. But, after they shortened the output shaft to fit the tailpiece, there weren't enough length on the splines left. So, we went to 700R tailpiece, and shortened the driveshaft 3".

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
That's what I tried to do. But, after they shortened the output shaft to fit the tailpiece, there weren't enough length on the splines left. So, we went to 700R tailpiece, and shortened the driveshaft 3".
Don't shorte MY shaft by 3", I may loose my drive......:laughing: :rolling: :buhbye:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts