Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It took me four weeks of trying to work around the Army, the wife and two kids- but i finally got er done! I picked up the 1993 700R4 transmission from craigslist.org for $150. Cant beat that. The guy said it was good. Cant trust that. I went ahead and dived into my first transmission rebuild, found missing parts and a burned 3-4 clutch pack missing the pressure plate! While I was at it, I went ahead and added a 3500 stall converter, .500 boost valve and corvette servo, among other minor upgrades. The vette is scary fast now, chirps the wheels and knocks your head back when shifting. and of course there's the overdrive. No more doing 4000 rpm to go 75mph. i now cruise the same speed at a little over 1500 rpm. The install was a huge PITA, and if anyone is looking for some pointers I'd be happy to give them my 2 cents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some details of the install...

replaced was a TH400. I went ahead and used the old transmission's rubber mount for the 700R4, which, with the special tail housing with the two areas for bolts, hooked right up after some attention on the mount from my dremel tool.

I kept the factory cross-member, had to use the dremel again to make new mount holes, because even with the special tail housing, it mounts about an inch too far back to use the original holes.

I had the drive shaft shortened by 2 1/2 inches, and I'm still kicking myself for not getting a quick release yoke for tail end of the tranny, because it was hell to put on without it.

The old cooler lines had to be spliced with new ones since I had to cut them to get the TH400 out.

Got the "TV made EZ" kit from Bowtie Overdrives. was hard to follow the some of the instructions (some pics were of the entirely wrong part) But good ole google squared me away.

Used a TCI vacuum operated lock-up switch. works like a charm, easy install.

ordered the 4-speed shifter modification kit from Bowtie as well. It was rough getting the old shift gate off, but once done, install was fairly easy.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
sounds good, what is your RPM @ 70 mph now? Any heat build up with the 3500 stall and cruise RPM?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds good, what is your RPM @ 70 mph now? Any heat build up with the 3500 stall and cruise RPM?
At 70 I'm doing 1500-1800 RPM, depending on incline. No serious heat buildup, the lines are only slightly hotter then with the TH400

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
Nice job, I should have gone that route with my 72 but it was the original TH400 so I kept the car together. I built it pretty strong, more then I need with my setup. I have 336's installed so I'm running about 2800-3000 rpm

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
It took me four weeks of trying to work around the Army, the wife and two kids- but i finally got er done! I picked up the 1993 700R4 transmission from craigslist.org for $150. Cant beat that. The guy said it was good. Cant trust that. I went ahead and dived into my first transmission rebuild, found missing parts and a burned 3-4 clutch pack missing the pressure plate! While I was at it, I went ahead and added a 3500 stall converter, .500 boost valve and corvette servo, among other minor upgrades. The vette is scary fast now, chirps the wheels and knocks your head back when shifting. and of course there's the overdrive. No more doing 4000 rpm to go 75mph. i now cruise the same speed at a little over 1500 rpm. The install was a huge PITA, and if anyone is looking for some pointers I'd be happy to give them my 2 cents.

Damn to bad your got it. I would have sold you one for $50...:thud:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like it was a real PITA. I have been wanting to do the same to my 80. A friend of mine told me about swapping a 400R4 into it (I think that was the model). Less mod's to make and it has a smaller bell housing. He made the swap on a 65 Nova wagon. Not quite the same as a Vette! I will bookmark this for future ref. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've said it many times, installing the 700R4 in my Vette was the best mod ever. How does a vacuum controlled lock up work?
Bee Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've said it many times, installing the 700R4 in my Vette was the best mod ever. How does a vacuum controlled lock up work?
Bee Jay
It connects to the ported side of the carb, a 12 volt (switched) power source and any good ground. the base of the unit connects to a plastic housing installed into the case, wires run to the lockup solenoid. when vacuum is at a certain level, it closes the circuit and locks up the torque converter, enabling overdrive

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like it was a real PITA. I have been wanting to do the same to my 80. A friend of mine told me about swapping a 400R4 into it (I think that was the model). Less mod's to make and it has a smaller bell housing. He made the swap on a 65 Nova wagon. Not quite the same as a Vette! I will bookmark this for future ref. Thanks:thumbsup:
:agree: Your friend is talkin about a 200R4, a smaller version of the 700. I did look into that one too, because like you said, it supposedly goes in a lot easier. But I chose the 700 for the taller gears and ease of rebuilding it to work behind a high-horse power engine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It connects to the ported side of the carb, a 12 volt (switched) power source and any good ground. the base of the unit connects to a plastic housing installed into the case, wires run to the lockup solenoid. when vacuum is at a certain level, it closes the circuit and locks up the torque converter, enabling overdrive
Is it adjustable? Who makes it? Where can I find out more? How does it work for you? If you are cruising along in fourth with the lockup, and you come to a hill, and you give it more gas to take the hill, the converter unlocks? I gotta have one of them.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it adjustable? Who makes it? Where can I find out more? How does it work for you? If you are cruising along in fourth with the lockup, and you come to a hill, and you give it more gas to take the hill, the converter unlocks? I gotta have one of them.
Bee Jay
TCI makes it, it is adjustable. here's a link:

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/376600_inst.htm

and a link to buy it:
http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/376600/10002/-1?CT=999

it locks/unlocks automaticly using vacuum signals. so at WOT, when passing or at hills it unlocks. its awesome :partyon:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts

and a link to buy it:

it locks/unlocks automaticly using vacuum signals. so at WOT, when passing or at hills it unlocks. its awesome :partyon:
I always run mine wired threw a manual switch(manual control), then threw a switch operated by the brake peddle(lock-up drops when brake is activated.), and then to the vacuum port switch.(releases under hard pulling).

I love the 700r4 its a very versatile and strong transmission.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
700r4 gearbox mount

hey guys fitting a 700r4 box from gearstar to my vette based 38 chevy rod.what thread are the bolts that hold the rear mount to the box .thanx herriot

·
Registered
376 Posts
I always run mine wired threw a manual switch(manual control), then threw a switch operated by the brake peddle(lock-up drops when brake is activated.), and then to the vacuum port switch.(releases under hard pulling).

I love the 700r4 its a very versatile and strong transmission.:thumbsup:
I like my 700R4 also. I have the switch on my console, so everytime I want a little extra acceleration in 4th without downshifting to third, (like on a hill, or getting away from pesky Mustangs) I hit the switch. But if this vacuum switch will do that for me, that would be great. I put a vacuum gauge on and went for a 100 mile cruise this morning. The gauge read 17-20 lbs most of the time in 4th, and very rarely got under 15lbs. It really took a pretty heavy foot to get down to 10lbs. That is why I asked if it was adjustable, I would need it to release lockup at around 15 lbs. I run a 3.55 rear gear. I guess in the same kit, I get what it takes to allow lockup only in fourth. Lockup in 2nd thru 3rd is a PITA and very indesireable.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like my 700R4 also. I have the switch on my console, so everytime I want a little extra acceleration in 4th without downshifting to third, (like on a hill, or getting away from pesky Mustangs) I hit the switch. But if this vacuum switch will do that for me, that would be great. I put a vacuum gauge on and went for a 100 mile cruise this morning. The gauge read 17-20 lbs most of the time in 4th, and very rarely got under 15lbs. It really took a pretty heavy foot to get down to 10lbs. That is why I asked if it was adjustable, I would need it to release lockup at around 15 lbs. I run a 3.55 rear gear. I guess in the same kit, I get what it takes to allow lockup only in fourth. Lockup in 2nd thru 3rd is a PITA and very indesireable.
Bee Jay
Yep, sounds like you already read up on it in the link I posted. you can adjust how many lbs. of vacuum it takes to lock and unlock, its pre-set to operate with 8-10 lbs. I kept it at that setting because I like to cruise most of the time, and don't want to down shift out of overdrive unless I really start to get on it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Damn to bad your got it. I would have sold you one for $50...:thud:
Hey Sir Dude (iburke) :buhbye: Were you talking about selling a 700R4 for $50.00???? My father and I were talking about doing this very mod to his 78 this morning. He is going to drop a new bullet into his 78 and would like to upgrade the transmission as well. Needs something he can road trip with. We were not sure if or how it would work, so we will be referring to this thread and asking some questions along the way. Thanks for posting this RoidRage :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Hi roidrage, nice to meet another fellow c3 owner here at hood. I wanted to let you know there is a awsome corvette car club that I belong to with alot of very knowledgable people and extra hands when you ever need to work on your car. would love to meet up with ya and hang out and introduce you to the club. we have some of everything, the old guys who own garage queens and the other crowd who likes to hit the strip and the cruises quit often. we are mostly all military or retired military.

We are actually having a meet tomorrow at old chicago if your interested.

and a link to buy it:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
a 700R4 is a great uprade to these cars and the requirments to put them in are praticly like factory installs. 82s came with 700r4 so there is no real fitment issue exept the driveshaft.

I actually have the shifter and a stock crossmember if your interested. but you can always go with a aftermarket crossmember or modifiy your own.

Hey Sir Dude (iburke) :buhbye: Were you talking about selling a 700R4 for $50.00???? My father and I were talking about doing this very mod to his 78 this morning. He is going to drop a new bullet into his 78 and would like to upgrade the transmission as well. Needs something he can road trip with. We were not sure if or how it would work, so we will be referring to this thread and asking some questions along the way. Thanks for posting this RoidRage :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
a 700R4 is a great upgrade to these cars and the requirements to put them in are piratical like factory installs. 82s came with 700r4 so there is no real fitments issue expert the driveshaft.

I actually have the shifter and a stock crossmember if your interested. but you can always go with a aftermarket crossmember or modifiy your own.
Thanks 82CEtuner :cheers: This was just into motion today, so we will be working on the car over winter. Your offer for parts could come in handy. My father is a member here just a quiet one :laughing: . He is watching this thread and keeping up with what is going on. So as you were saying, the 82's came with a 700R4, I did not know that. We are still looking to find a transmission, dad found a block last week so we are on our way to having a winter full of work to do :laughing:
Thanks;
Scott.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts