Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's starting to look like I need to get anouther trans again.

I had my 700r4 rebuilt from a local shop and they screwd it up this the sencond time.

I dont want them touching my car ever again thats anouther story.

But If I have to replace it again I just buy a whole new one outright.

I heard the 4L60 is stronger than the 700r4 so If I am going to spend the money might as well look into this.

Is this swap worth it what do I need to change to do this as in the wiring will the computer on my1986 Vett work if not what do I need to get it to work.

Like i said the 700r4 I have now should have all the good stuff init now but the shop which did it who knows what they realy did or didnt do inside the trans.

I not pushing alot of power but it not stock either 365 HP and 465 TQ the 700r4 work good as long you dont put you foot in it if your on the gas hard it slips between shits it go's from 3500/4000 then shifts but at the same time it will spin the motor up to 6000 RPMs like some one pushes the clucth in and not letting off the gas doing so.

I know thers plces that say they make a 700r4 that can handle HP and TQ but if going to buy a new one might as well get the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I heard the 4L60 is stronger than the 700r4 so If I am going to spend the money might as well look into this.
Only difference is a name change.

Trans were upgraded in '88 and they are considered more desirable for builds
30 spline input shaft instead of 27 spline , etc.
GM did further upgrades through to the version used behind LSX engines

what do I need to change to do this as in the wiring will the computer on my1986 Vett work if not what do I need to get it to work.
Nothing unless you go to a 4L60E which requires a standalone controller

·
Registered
267 Posts
i have thought the same about my rebuild one...i've sent to the shop a lot of goodies making strongest my old 700r4 but who realy know what they do inside your trans,now i have my car in winter storage and my trans has virtualy zero mile on it...there's no reason to think they don't put the beast inside ,or wider band,or my new servo,or large boost valve,or new upgraded pump valve,clutches ecc...i only hope they are serious builder...they sent back my rebuild trans with a large box with tons of other things they changed...as soon as possible i'll test my trans :huh:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Vetteoz is right!

A 700r4 and 4l60 are the same tranny. Input spline numbers mean nothing if you just have the beast sunshell installed upon rebuild and it is actually cheaper than the original oem sunshell! But it sure isn't the sunshell splines stripped out causing your slipping. If it's slipping going from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th then it's your 2-4 band slipping and if that's the case it won't be long before you totally lose 2nd and 4th !
If you find a REPUTABLE PROVEN builder and have them do the following you won't have to worry about that 700R4 holding up.
Install: Beast Sunshell. Kevlar 2-4band, Hi Energy clutch/steels kit, all valve body updates, replace 2-4 servos with molded seal servos, verify that the servo is the "corvette servo" for the extra holding power on the 2-4 band and obviously a new torque converter.
Won't be long and you will be able to tell what was done to that tranny....because the pieces will be in your pan! :surprised

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as keep a heavy foot out of it the trans works fine I just dont floor it all the time.

I waiting to hear back from the BBB and the Bar and see what they say how much money they told the trans shop to return to me Then i make the diffrence up and get a new one.

And I will go with a higher stall convertor this time around.

So the car lanches a little harder when asked to do so.

Vetteoz is right!

A 700r4 and 4l60 are the same tranny. Input spline numbers mean nothing if you just have the beast sunshell installed upon rebuild and it is actually cheaper than the original oem sunshell! But it sure isn't the sunshell splines stripped out causing your slipping. If it's slipping going from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th then it's your 2-4 band slipping and if that's the case it won't be long before you totally lose 2nd and 4th !
If you find a REPUTABLE PROVEN builder and have them do the following you won't have to worry about that 700R4 holding up.
Install: Beast Sunshell. Kevlar 2-4band, Hi Energy clutch/steels kit, all valve body updates, replace 2-4 servos with molded seal servos, verify that the servo is the "corvette servo" for the extra holding power on the 2-4 band and obviously a new torque converter.
Won't be long and you will be able to tell what was done to that tranny....because the pieces will be in your pan! :surprised

·
Registered
267 Posts
Trans rebuilders prefer late 4l60 case to start for an upgraded strogest street/track transmission,but as you know guys better than me there's a lot of cheap stuff in the market,you think this goodies are an original MADE IN USA stuffs and then China...yes i put the beast...but what kind of beast,five planetary...from where?,be always sure where this stuff come from...now big Brand choice bad supplier too,so a good name isn't anymore a warranty,i don't want to say there is only trash out there,only pay attention when you choice

i hope this stuff will be as good as they told

[/IMG]

·
Registered
197 Posts
"yes i put the beast...but what kind of beast,five planetary...from where"

Say what? The Beast (input reaction sunshell) is near the front of your tranny. The planetary is near the rear.

2 different tranny parts that don't even look anything remotely alike each other.

And i don't even see a planetary in your pic. The sunshell is the upper far right part. ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not really fond of picking parts and having a guy install it. If problems arise, you might find that the parts guy blames the installer and vice versa.

I use a company that LPE recommended. Rossler Transmission in Girard OH

·
Registered
267 Posts
"yes i put the beast...but what kind of beast,five planetary...from where"

Say what? The Beast (input reaction sunshell) is near the front of your tranny. The planetary is near the rear.

2 different tranny parts that don't even look anything remotely alike each other.

And i don't even see a planetary in your pic. The sunshell is the upper far right part. ;)
I actualy know where the beast is and where the planetary too,probably my english isn't the best...i was only making some examples,not saying my order was a planetary,a beast and so on...the same, i know what i've ordered from TCS ,it's a Master overhaul kit,the Beast and some minor stuff as you can see in the pic in my living room table:laughing:,i was only meaning that a lot of stuff isn't that good due to bad material and pour manufactoring in Asia...a lot of parts now come from China,that's all.;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the money it looks like I stick with the 700r4 thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts