Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the fence about starting a build thread. My plan was to wait a few years so I've been posting some updates here and there. Spoke with Josh yesterday and after some thought I will go for it. The other build threads and post I have found very valuable, so thank you all.

Background on the car.
Purchased in 1977 by my FIL. He took my wife fishing in it as a child. Parked it in 1985. 1995 I came into the picture. Gave him grief over it sitting. Handed him my check book a few times, "put in a number" we laughed but he never did. Oct. 12th 2012 he was dizzy but felt ok otherwise. Nov. 26th 2012 he passed in our living room. Cancer is bullshit. My wife asked me to fix her daddys car so we could go for a ride. That's what we're gonna do, and then some.

The day Pop brought it home.

In Indiana and on the lift. Inspection to see exactly what we are working with.

The engine would not turn over, at all. So we pulled it.

Some research indicated this 350 came from a chevy pickup. Tear down reveals a spun main bearing and other issues. This will be replaced with an LS. Wife suggested an LS7 as that's what was in her dads last car (09' Z06). I am leaning towards an LS3. We'll see.

Back in the garage on stands without engine.

The more I dug into this it became apparent I should go to ground zero. The decision was made to go to the frame.

I wanted to remove all the weight I could. Interior removed, doors, hood etc..

I removed all of the mounting hardware. Number 4 on both sides had to be cut. I blocked the frame slowly to ensure it was free.

I bought a body cart on ebay. I know some guys build them, I didn't but will have a good deal for a forum member when I'm done with it.

Here we go..

At the sandblasters

The painter allowed me to help with the body work. The blue paint was laid on by my FIL in his garage around 1980.

No luggage rack for me.

I'm guessing I removed 30lbs of dirt/road gunk..

Yours truely..Notice he had me shoot the underside of the hood. Smart fella.

Went with green.

Frame back from blaster. Josh sent me some pics to use as a reference. The crossmember is now modified.

Frame after powdercoating

Rims before.

After..Powdercoated.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You have been a busy man, everything looks great:thumbsup: Love the green, one of my favorite colors. I'm sure Pop's smiling at you every time you give her that loving care. Keep it up man, i'm tuned in and i'm sure she will be back in shape very soon.

:cheers:
Mark

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I love your approach on how you are doing the build with getting right on to the body then getting to the frame. I think the body and paint are the slowest part of a build, with having that mostly done, your project will come together much quicker than most others I've seen. Oh and the green is a great choice, love the color. The chassis will not take very long since you already have it ready to be reassemabled as the parts come in.

Looking forward to seeing your progression through the project.

Terry

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
71 rookie

Thanks for the kind comments and support. I'll do my best to keep the updates coming and with pics. Looks as though my better half has joined the DC ranks as well. Dibs on the first ride..you bet. Keep doing your CFO'ng..I will need an LS3 (500hp'ish) with a T-56 before you know it. Brent you are 110% correct. Josh has called me several times and what an asset. Pic's of VBP parts soon..which also means I'll have to get the frame out of the dinning room..
Scott:cheers:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Looks great, nice job and one that will be a keeper.:thumbsup:
The car or the CFO?
I am guessing both. :thumbsup:
My wife has been supportive of this whole process and there have been many sacrifices made by her. She shares the dream too. You are lucky to have the same support. It would just be labor instead of a labor of love otherwise.
Looking forward to pictures of that first ride.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i built a c3 from scratch back about 1980 and i painted the body first, it was such an incentive to finish the car i am sure it sped up the process. that was the nicest 80 convertible big block 4 speed you ever saw. a lot of people back then thought it was factory.:smack

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
great story and great build! Keep it coming :thumbsup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
So, let me get this straight...Your wife says you should get the bigger, more powerful engine, but you decided not to?! :WTF

Seriously, great looking project. I had a Brands Hatch green '71 coupe with dark saddle interior once. It was just a project car, and I ended up selling it before I did anything with it, but I thought that was the prettiest color combination that ever came on a C3

1 - 20 of 215 Posts