1,441 Posts
Looking great Slofut keep up the great work, were watching you

:rolling: Mark

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
All four tires on the ground again!

Got the rear suspension all tidy'd up, dual mount spring on and sat her on the ground. First impression is good, rear sits nice and low so there's room for adjustment. Got to put brake calipers on and bleed, fuel tank next, then exhaust !!

Untitled by Bill Smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
340 Posts
Got the rear suspension all tidy'd up, dual mount spring on and sat her on the ground. First impression is good, rear sits nice and low so there's room for adjustment. Got to put brake calipers on and bleed, fuel tank next, then exhaust !!

It's got to feel good to get to this point!
Well done. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
181 Posts

great progress , your almost there :smack

seriously , its a good milestone , even though it will go up and down about a 1000 more times before its done :D

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Of course you're right Bazza. I told Dad yesterday I couldn't wait to fire it up and make it go under it's own power. Although it might go, the clutch may not necessarily disengage, and it may head towards the fence! ...or any number of things to expect to need to work out! I'll get it done though. :smack

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Great milestone achieved...... need to hoist a couple of cold ones to celebrate.

My problem is I can't see any of the pictures anymore, to busy staring at the avatar. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You do know that's a air fitting. I nickle and dimed myself to death with fittings. Researched and spent lots of time finding fittings. A few wouldn't work after I bought them. I'am a big fan of Swagelok compression fittings for tubing. I made aluminum blocks and tapped them for pipe threads anytime I needed to convert from tubing to hose or AN fittings. At this point i'am glad I don't know the dollar amount I have in fittings, tubing and hoses. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
You do know that's a air fitting. I nickle and dimed myself to death with fittings. Researched and spent lots of time finding fittings. A few wouldn't work after I bought them. I'am a big fan of Swagelok compression fittings for tubing. I made aluminum blocks and tapped them for pipe threads anytime I needed to convert from tubing to hose or AN fittings. At this point i'am glad I don't know the dollar amount I have in fittings, tubing and hoses. :rolleyes:
Yea I know it's an air fitting but it's identical to the other push locks, and a lot cheaper. I'm with you on fittings, I have a bag of prob $250 worth of new random fittings, just from bouncing back and forth on this and the power steering plumbing! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Bill-
really turning out nicely!!!

Do you have HVAC in your shop? If not- I'm thinking you'd be melting!!!

BTW- I'm (and a couple of buddies) thinking about making it down the big Swap meet in November.

****UPDATE***************
Never-mind- you are melting!!!!
Hey Richard,
I don't know how I missed this post. Shop has no hvac where the work is done, hot as hell! Did you make it to the Nov swap meet? It was huge!
As big as I've ever seen it, maybe bigger. Another one in Feb if you missed it.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
It's alive!!!!

Actually fired it off last week but only for a second. Long enough to find only one or two cylinders firing. I knew it was injectors as it's been sitting at least four years and I didn't remove the fuel rail.
Used this method to flush injectors of the nasty piss that was in there.

Flushed in reverse first to clear the screen filters, then flushed forward, pulsing the valve to clean. Several injectors were stuck closed, but careful prodding got them working. I got a nice even spray from all of them, and there was no large contaminants just old stinking fuel, I still suspect I'll be pulling them again.

So with new o-rings on and back together I got this!

IMG_5655.MOV by Bill Smith, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
One thing for sure, the clutch isn't working. Not enough pedal. I bought a Power Bleeder but with the wrong adapter. And now I can't remember where I got the reservoir ...what kind it is. I think it's a camaro, in fact now I'm sure it is. So I have to get an adapter for the power bleeder for it, unless I can find another cap and I'll just make one. I sure hope that does the trick, aside from the clutch I think the tranny is too hard to shift ...VERY notchy and stiff! [email protected]#k I don't want to pull that trans back out... :surprised

Fluids are all dry now exe for oil, I'll add coolant and steering fluid and see what I have there. Fuel plumbing is all tidy exe for the last connection at the fuel rail with a tiny leak, I'll revisit that first.

Here are a few fuel pics.

Best way to put this on (thanks to the fellow on youtube).

This would've worked as well as the $80 Dorman tool, but this particular fitting would NOT go in with the compression method, hence the hammer and nut driver method above. The other black fittings went together no prob.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Hoo yea!!!! Congrats! :cheers:

Sounds great............... really great!!! Talk about motivation, that should keep you at it for awhile. Has Dad heard it yet?

By the way, if you soften the fuel lines (just a little) with a heat gun they go right on. Tip: Try it on a sample a time or two until you get the hang of how much heat to apply. At first you will likely give it too much.

281 - 300 of 337 Posts