Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have pictures of how to take out and re install coils on vette. have read many threads but just do not get the process with the threaded rod technique. which way is eisier opening ou the ball joints or taking out the 2 or 3 bolts at back of lower a arm and lowering it that way?? thanks for any feedback send me pics to [email protected]
Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks rjent, is that still done with the threaded rod thru the spring and then lowered with a floor jack??

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
thanks rjent, is that still done with the threaded rod thru the spring and then lowered with a floor jack??
I use a couple of spring compressors to squeeze the spring and remove tension. By threaded rod, I assume you mean two (basically allthreads) with hooks on each end, one on each side of the coil. Zip up the spring with an impact, remove the suspension, and remove the spring. Just remember the spring has a lot of energy in it until it is "released". Go slow and use your head bro :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
hey izonpro, welcome to DC.

When I did my front suspension I did it as per the service manual and put my floor jack under the cross shaft at the back of the CA and lowered it that way. Pulling the spring out is one thing, putting it back in is a whole different story. I tried using a spring compressor from autozone, but had a real hard time of it. Our older springs need to be compressed a long way, and they end up having some curve to them rather than compressing straight down. This makes getting a socket through the hole in the CA to line up with the compressor a bit of a pain. To add insult to injury, once I got the whole thing buttoned up and released the tension from the compressor the hooks got stuck on the spring inside the pocket! Cursed and hammered at it for an hour before getting it to come out...

To answer your question, I'd suggest using the threaded rod method with the cross shaft bolted down. If you do it the other way (ball joint put together) that arm has a lot more freedom and you don't know where it's going if something slips. Having all 3 bolts in the cross shaft limits the arm to only one degree of freedom.

rjent, I think the threaded rod method he's talking about uses a long (probably 2 feet) threaded rod just small enough to fit through the upper shock mount. Remove the shock completely and drop the rod in its place. Drill a hole in a sturdy steel plate and put it under the control arm with the rod through the hole. Put a nut under the plate. Now use another plate or some really beefy washers on top of the shock mount and put another nut up there. Now you can tighten that top nut to pull the CA up and compress the spring. Once it's compressed enough you're ready to remove the cross shaft bolts and loosen the nut slowly to lower the CA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats right lsejlowe you know what I mean,, on thing is I thought that you then undone the upper ball joint and then loosen it down and it opens from the front not from the back..

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
should work either way. with the threaded rod you're pretty safe either way you do it.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I don't trust threaded rods and poorly made spring compressors. I always use a chain and a jack, both to remove and install the springs. The higher rated shorter springs are easier to install than the longer lower rated ones.

If you just use a jack under the lower control arm near the ball joint it's easy to just jack the spring in place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
twin turbo, please explain.. once I have jacked up on the lower arm and the spring is colapsed u put a chain around it and let the arm down and then how do you resease the old spring?? tell me more.. thanks

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
first you put a chain around the spring and the frame, then you jack up the car w/ the jack under the lower arm just next to the balljoint. Position the jack so you can undo the castle nut. Jack up thhe car, remove the wheel and you'll see the suspension go into full bump. Now undo the castle nut and split the ball joint and the arm, the upper arm and spindle can now be lifted up. There's no tension on them, it's all on the lower arm. Now stand back and carefully lower the jack and the spring expands and you can take it out after it fully extends, undo the chain and it'll just drop to the floor. Installation is the reverse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so when I put the chain around the coil and frame, the coil is under the weight of the car or colapsed?? or is the car up on jacks and the wheel and arm is hanging and then I put the chain around it, thanks for the understanding..

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
doesn't really matter, the chain is there just to keep the coil from flying away (which is very unlikely if you carefully lower the arm but better safe than sorry), so as long as the chain keeps the spring from hitting you in the head it's OK

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
it could have just been the length of the my low rated springs that gave me trouble, but I would have had a hard time getting the jack positioned so that the arm wouldn't slip in the process of lowering.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
are you using a large floor jack with the jacking cup? If you use one of those the arm will not slip off the jackl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts