Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today, my brother in law and I decide to roll race his ridiculously modded Evo (Full Race turbo kit and tons of go fast parts running on VP Q16) against my 2007 C6 with the mods listed in my signature. We turn onto the private road we rented in Mexico, he is in front of me by appx 3 lengths. He says I got the hit, I say he did. Who cares? He started in front by the 3 or so lengths at 50 or so mph and we went ALL OUT. We hit speeds that defy common sense (170 or so). He started pulling a little in 3rd or so. 4th and 5th, I was not losing ground and, if he would be honest about it, I was reeling him in a bit. He still ended ahead of me but we both recognize I have little to no traction beneath 80 - 90 (worn run flats) and that I would pull in the higher speeds. Results - call it a draw.

Then, we tried from 40 mph. Play by play: I spin 2nd and 3rd like I am in the waterbox at the track. Results: Victory for the Evo. I am certain a Yugo could beat me to 70 mph with my present tires........

Someone wanna lend me drag radials?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hell i bet you dont have traction my old z06 has around only 435hp and i would light up my runcraps. You need some nittos bro. This race obviously didnt show anything but maybe fun. Let us know if you run him for real would be interesting to see outcome. How much freaking money do you think he has in the evo? Just curious as to compare how much it takes them to make that much power compared to real muscle.:devil:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Earlier today, my brother in law and I decide to roll race his ridiculously modded Evo (Full Race turbo kit and tons of go fast parts running on VP Q16) against my 2007 C6 with the mods listed in my signature. We turn onto the private road we rented in Mexico, he is in front of me by appx 3 lengths. He says I got the hit, I say he did. Who cares? He started in front by the 3 or so lengths at 50 or so mph and we went ALL OUT. We hit speeds that defy common sense (170 or so). He started pulling a little in 3rd or so. 4th and 5th, I was not losing ground and, if he would be honest about it, I was reeling him in a bit. He still ended ahead of me but we both recognize I have little to no traction beneath 80 - 90 (worn run flats) and that I would pull in the higher speeds. Results - call it a draw.

Then, we tried from 40 mph. Play by play: I spin 2nd and 3rd like I am in the waterbox at the track. Results: Victory for the Evo. I am certain a Yugo could beat me to 70 mph with my present tires........

Someone wanna lend me drag radials?
Talk to Chris about those 4.10's. In my opinion way too much gear for that much rwhp. I've got 4.10's and about 180 rwhp less than you and they're too much. Oh, and yes, Nitto's too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let us know if you run him for real would be interesting to see outcome.
Next run will be on video. It should be interesting. This last get together was spur of the moment - I was leaving his house and he was leaving to go to the supermarket. It wasn't like we planned it for if we had, it would have been "lights, camera, action". To give you an idea of how fast both cars are - he went to the track with the Evo, limped it off the line and still trapped 132 mph. Then, the Evo was retuned and 100 hpr was found............. My car traps between 135 - 139, traction dependent.

How much freaking money do you think he has in the evo? Just curious as to compare how much it takes them to make that much power compared to real muscle.:devil:

As far as investment in the car goes, he has an advantage. He is friends with the owner of FULL RACE (company motto: "Everything else is just half fast") the company that makes the turbo kit. That is why he has a fully modded Evo, fully modded WRX STi and a G35 TT set up for road racing. The owner of Full Race takes good care of him. If a regular guy built this car, I would guess that the work would cost in excess of $30,000.00. He has a fully built engine, modded transmission, big dollar clutch, etc etc. He used the best of everything in the car..........

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Next run will be on video. It should be interesting. This last get together was spur of the moment - I was leaving his house and he was leaving to go to the supermarket. It wasn't like we planned it for if we had, it would have been "lights, camera, action". To give you an idea of how fast both cars are - he went to the track with the Evo, limped it off the line and still trapped 132 mph. Then, the Evo was retuned and 100 hpr was found............. My car traps between 135 - 139, traction dependent.

As far as investment in the car goes, he has an advantage. He is friends with the owner of FULL RACE (company motto: "Everything else is just half fast") the company that makes the turbo kit. That is why he has a fully modded Evo, fully modded WRX STi and a G35 TT set up for road racing. The owner of Full Race takes good care of him. If a regular guy built this car, I would guess that the work would cost in excess of $30,000.00. He has a fully built engine, modded transmission, big dollar clutch, etc etc. He used the best of everything in the car..........
Yeah i hear ya. I have respect for all cars i just cant get into the little cars like these. But to each his own. Not that many full blown cars like that on the street anyways.I figured by the time you buy the car and fully modded it out like that these guys sink 60-70 grand in them. Id rather have a vette.:thumbsup: But thats just me:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i hear ya. I have respect for all cars i just cant get into the little cars like these. But to each his own. Not that many full blown cars like that on the street anyways.I figured by the time you buy the car and fully modded it out like that these guys sink 60-70 grand in them. Id rather have a vette.:thumbsup: But thats just me:D
Yes - not too many cars like his or mine on the street. He and I discussed it yesterday - by the time he was done, my car costs the same as his (including mods). It is a car that commands respect as it pulls to redline in 5th so quickly that he is going to lengthen his final drive a bit (looking for more top end). I am leaving my 4.10s but getting traction and, most likely, building a forged motor over the winter as I am looking for 850+ whp for next season...........

·
Registered
230 Posts
Talk to Chris about those 4.10's. In my opinion way too much gear for that much rwhp. I've got 4.10's and about 180 rwhp less than you and they're too much. Oh, and yes, Nitto's too.
That depends on either the 60fts the car is capable of or the desired gearing on the highway. There are a lot of 600-700rwhp+ hp cars out there nowadays and traction and surface adhesion will always be an issue.

I'm sure 1st is pretty useless no matter what unless on a hot, prepped surface. With that being said, what kind of problems do you experience?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would suggest you learn to handle the HP you have. Any tires you put on are going to spin at WOT, or you are going to break some thing. Learn to control it...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would suggest you learn to handle the HP you have. Any tires you put on are going to spin at WOT, or you are going to break some thing. Learn to control it...
Are you suggesting that to me? If so, why? I can control the hpr I have just fine. I would never expect the car to hook with runflats. Yesterday, I installed R888; 245 40 18 front, 305 35 18 rear. I must modulate throttle through all of first and some of second. I am just about the last guy on the face of the planet that needs to learn "how to control it". This isn't my first rodeo if you know what i mean.........

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious, if he built road racing cars out of some (the G35) that were NA -why didn't he stick NA, or go with a S/C?

The power curve from a NA or SC vehicle is much better for road racing... Seems odd is all, or maybe I took a post out of context?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious, if he built road racing cars out of some (the G35) that were NA -why didn't he stick NA, or go with a S/C?

The power curve from a NA or SC vehicle is much better for road racing... Seems odd is all, or maybe I took a post out of context?
The G35 started as an overbuilt street/show car that somehow made its way into a full blown race car.

·
Registered
5 Posts

NA and SC are dog poo on a VQ35 - if you're interested in my G35 motor build, here's a youtube vid of the original build up -

It has a power band and trq curve that even a die hard domestic V8 fans can be proud of :D Below is the old setup, running larger turbos now with a bit more grunt :laughing:

16psi

The little one proud of our win...

The car turned into a full blown Time Attack car because a shop pissed me off on a Nissan forum and I set out to beat them on the track - I was beyond successful and the car has yet to lose in it's class... That above mention shop is no longer in business :thumbsup: and I promised myself to never allow my ego to destroy a beautiful street car ever again...

Ira's Vette is VERY fast, I'm impressed with the work that ECS did, and Ira can drive his ass off! But it really is no match for my EVO in it's current form, sorry Ira... When we raced I was short shifting at 7000rpms (redline is 8500rpms) and just keeping you a safe three to four car lengths behind me :surprised

When I ran it at E-town I was on straight pump gas, 21psi ~540whp and walked it out of the hole (1.9 sixty ft), it ran 11.00 @ 132mph... I can pull 1.5 sixty ft all day long leaving on the anti lag launch control and mid/low 10's on straight pump & low boost...

Check out this vid of my EVO on the dyno - the car builds over 19psi of boost on the anti lag launch control, makes for some insane launches and this a very mild/conservative setting...

On the current turbo, Q16 34psi, the car makes 740whp and is a 9 second car... I know that Ira has a built motor in the works and I needed to up my game, so I just finished a few more mods, larger runner twin-scroll manifold, E85 conversion and a new Borg Warner 9180 turbo - it's good for another 150whp... At these power levels, Ira is going to need a good set of slicks and skinny's :partyon:

AWD is just silly on the street... I run boost by gear to maximize traction, 20psi in first and 34psi in second and the car just straight hooks on R compound street tires - absolutely silly...

Yes the Vette is a much better looking car, Yes the Vette sounds like a complete animal and Yes the Vette is the best value per dollar car out there - I also plan on owning one in the future... But don't mistake the performance potential of a well setup EVO...

I bought my EVO from a close friend for 18k (only had 15k miles, was pretty much stock and he was the original owner) - I have since invested ~25k in mods...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
That evo is just sick, too bad you can't run at etown in the new 8.90 GM EFI class being organized and run by ECS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts