Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some help identifying a pair of big block chrome valve covers I bought off Craigslist. From what I can find online they appear to be 1972-74 454 style with the individual plug wire grommets on the sides, as well as angled tabs for wire looms on the top. Thing is, everything I read says these years had painted steel covers, not chrome. These are dripper covers with prominent dimples on the top and the small angle on the rear of the left cover, and they look a whole lot like factory originals. I'm probably going to sell them but I want to know exactly what I have before I do.
Did Chevy ever make factory pieces like these? Are they good aftermarket ones? What are they worth? I've surfed the web and haven't seen any others like them.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I am not Positive Sure but I think they are Big Block Valve Covers from a Smog Era Truck.
Or a Tall Deck 366 or 427 Heavy Duty Kodiak Truck.
Never seen Spot Welded in Drippers on a Big Block Corvette.
Someone had them Chrome plated I believe.

Last Year of Factory High Quality Triple Chrome plated valve covers typical is 1970.
Get the depth shine from Copper plate over steel, Nickle plated next, then Invisable Chromium topcoat we just call Chrome.

Look at the underside should see some copper flash plate left.

I have worked on a few factory BBC C3's and had valve covers off. Set Ran the Valve lash on Solid cams and Hydraulic Cams lifter adjystment.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,409 Posts
Ebay has a bunch of new chrome BB covers starting in the $30-$40 range

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think these were ever re-plated if you look at the grommets on the plug wire tabs. Never thought about a truck motor but I'll check it out.
Most 60's and early 70's hipo big blocks had dripper valve covers, it helps lube the rocker arm fulcrum balls. Low performance big blocks with hydraulic cams didn't get drippers.
I've looked all over the Crane Corvette website (not the easiest to navigate) as they are known as the authority on reproductions, but can't find any like these. I even sent them an email but they never answered.
I have a 67 SS396 Chevelle and I have brand new Crane repops for it, plus a set for a 68-69 396 Chevelle and a set I believe to be for a 66 SS396 Chevelle. There are a dozen or more variations but no definitive ID guide that I can find.
Here's another pic. (I can only post one at a time, and they're not that large, I'll do one more later.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the driver's side rear with the indent for power brake booster clearance. Like I said these look identical to 72-74 big block 'vette units, but they're chrome...
Are there any NCRS types out there that are familiar with the variations?

Attachments

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Here's the driver's side rear with the indent for power brake booster clearance. Like I said these look identical to 72-74 big block 'vette units, but they're chrome...
Are there any NCRS types out there that are familiar with the variations?
Maybe they were used on A Yenko
Or a Nicky Corvette.
I am not sure.

There is Facebook group I am in.
Big Block Chevy Performance.
Most are Die Hard Drag Racers.
Guys building for 600- 1800 Hp .
There are alot of Yenko owners there.
They go Crazy over them.

$250K today factory street racers.

Lots of Old Timers now 70-85 years old.
They may recall exact.
I am 49.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
It's like a factory production chrome job the picture.
Taken out of the chrome tank early.
Can see that.

1970 Pontiac the Valve covers are chrome too but perfect.
How I can spot exact year Poncho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts