Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally with cash on the way its time for the rebuild!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my wife finally made the mistake of agreeing to use 13k to rebuild my 72' Vette. My question is can it be done for 13k???? Of course it could probably be on the road for much less but.... With much regret it will be put together by a local shop instead of my blood, sweat, and beer's... If you have done a similar build please give me some advise. Here is my parts list so far:

Brake Overhaul Kit with master cylinderVette BrakesID: 22372O $ 499.99 1 $ 499.99 Brake LinesMid America Motor Works613-008 $ 149.99 1 $ 149.99 Brake Line Clamp KitMid America Motor Works603-443 $ 24.99 1 $ 24.99 Brake Rotor set with padsVette BrakesID: 11700 $ 229.95 1 $ 229.95 Transmission Inspection $ 200.00 1 $ 200.00 Weather Striping KitEcklersItem# 26153 $ 189.99 1 $ 189.99 Hardtop weather strip kitEcklersItem# 32399 $ 359.99 1 $ 359.99 Headlight / Windshield Vacuum KitMid America Motor Works601-483 $ 89.99 1 $ 89.99 Exhaust Install with Nova mufflers $ 350.00 $ 350.00 Headers $ 200.00 $ 200.00 Front Carpet Insulation KitEcklersItem# 38187 $ 79.99 1 $ 79.99 Rear Carpet Insulation KitEcklersItem# A8465 $ 74.99 1 $ 74.99 Carpet KitMid America Motor Works666-503 $ 249.99 1 $ 249.99 Fix Hard TopNew Vinyl TopMid America Motor Works600-314 $ 189.99 1 $ 189.99 Rear Bow Filler Cord for vinyl topMid America Motor Works600-328 $ 8.99 1 $ 8.99 Tacking Strip KitMid America Motor Works600-358 $ 34.99 1 $ 34.99 Rear StrapsMid America Motor Works600-360 $ 29.99 1 $ 29.99 Top Pad KitMid America Motor Works600-348 $ 49.99 1 $ 49.99 Deck Lid ProtectorMid America Motor Works600-396 $ 29.99 1 $ 29.99

It needs everything that would rot after 5 years in the hot sun!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
IMHO, check Vette Brake Products for the brake components and do it yourself, brakes are easy to do and does not require any special tools.
I didn't see anything on Suspension, I would definately do it with Urethane, its some work, but if you have space tools and some skills, do that too.
None of this stuff is really hard and if your not going to do a full body off resto, do it yourself unless you have no interest. In that case paying someone else to do all of it could easily exceede your $13k budget with paint. That alone can easily be $10k

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've done 98% of the restoration on my 72...so here is my take on your plan. SHOP AROUND for those parts. Good call using Vette Brakes products...:thumbsup:...but did you check Van Steel pricing??? (discount code #DD1002) There are numerous catalog vendors that will be cheaper than those you listed, so it's worth doing some homework to stretch those dollars.
I would concentrate on safety items such as brakes (you did) steering, suspension, and motor first. Then move to the interior, and the hardtop/softtop last. This way you can drive it with confidence while you restore the top.
Good luck with your project.
Eddie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone. The shocks and bushings(poly) where replaced about five years ago so im hoping they are sufficient. The motor is going to be built using some parts off of my Nova motor ie Roller Rockers, Intake, MSD, etc.. so that should save some cash. I’m figuring I would start with the brakes, wiring, weather striping, drivetrain, and then move on to the cosmetic pieces. After looking at how much the replacement emblems costs...:WTF I’m having a friend airbrush them on..:thumbsup: Unfortunately I don’t have a place to work on the car.. My apartment isn’t big enough to drive into… :rolling: so im going to have to pay for the major parts to be installed for me. Thanks for the advice on the parts as well. Anyone else have any supplier recommendations?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone else have any supplier recommendations?
Willcox & TLD (The Last Detail) for best interior & wirering prices. Al Knock for the best but most expensive interior. Riks Corvette, Paragon Reproductions, DocRebuild, & Zip Corvette all have good pricing. Shop around young man...:D :D :D
Eddie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willcox & TLD (The Last Detail) for best interior & wirering prices. Al Knock for the best but most expensive interior. Riks Corvette, Paragon Reproductions, DocRebuild, & Zip Corvette all have good pricing. Shop around young man...:D :D :D
Eddie
HEY!!! I joined in 06 and you joined in 07 shouldn't I be calling you young man....:smack :cheers: Thanks!!! I appreciate the help...

·
Registered
16 Posts
What town are you from?

I am in the same boat , i put 5k in to the motor ,and wiffie had a S Hit fit
so i stoped for a year , but now its time to get back in to it

do you need motor work ? if not you can do it for that

good luck to you >>I know i need it:cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What town are you from?

I am in the same boat , i put 5k in to the motor ,and wiffie had a S Hit fit
so i stoped for a year , but now its time to get back in to it

do you need motor work ? if not you can do it for that

good luck to you >>I know i need it:cheers:
Im out of Monterey, cA.. If you are out of Hollister your just down the road.. Yes, I need motor work but I am having Ronnie Sanders build it using some existing parts I have for roughly 2k. I understand the wife situation..Im still not sure if she is tricking me some how :smack

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Eddie
:agree: Mid America for T-Shirts and Jackets.:laughing:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Eddie
eh, I"m a cheeep bastard....I do my own wiring harnesses....

:WTF :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts