Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This car has been in my family since I was born.

14 years ago, Pops made me a deal. The car was mine if I restored it.

Well....some time has passed, and the car was about 50% complete. As I started tearing down what was left of the body, I found some pretty nasty bird cage rust.

So off it went to Fantomworks in Norfolk, Va (you may have seen their TV show) for some metal fab. This is what we found....

Fortunately the rockers were pretty solid.

Here is what Fantomworks was able to do.

At the time, my budget was pretty unclear. We respectfully decided to refrain from going further, and I thanked the kind folks for their work.

This past November, the budget came back, and I made the decision to work my tail off so I could pay someone that does this on a daily basis. Enter Tom McGuckin outside of Culpeper, Va. Tom is in the process of finishing what I couldn't find the time for.

As the project progresses, I've decided that a plain jane restoration was not how I was going to enjoy the car most. I plan on driving the vehicle any day that is Sunny and ends with a "Y", so I went for the LS swap (525) and a T56.

Josh Powers at Custom Image Corvettes has been a huge help in sourcing parts and providing some tips to Tom. As of right now, we have the borgeson box conversion, we're looking at CIC flares, 17x10's and 17x12's, brakes, etc. Back to that whole budget thing....:surprised

While I am busy stacking cash, here is some small work that has been getting done at Tom's.

First time these two have even seen each other in 13 years (chassis and body)

Some firewall prep...

Stainless Tank, more fuel work to go and a stolen pic from Gordonm

Which brings us to where I am at today. Started with some Van Steel stuff before I saw the Ride Tech, but I am not sure I'm ready to pony up that sort of cash anyway. Perhaps when prices drop...

I'm sad to say, I have run out of pictures and progress. This is the start of this thread, and I am hoping to carry it through. I've enjoyed reading all of the others, especially those that are pic heavy!

Thanks to all of you that are positively contributing to these great cars!

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
cool back story. Got any pics of the progress you have made?

I ran into the same issue on mine. Frame/suspension/engine/electrical work I'm fine with. Body stuff, not so much. Farmed that out to the pro's and paid for it.

welcome to DC :cheers:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Subscribed. :thumbsup: Steel Cities has always been a favorite color of mine. I assume you'll repaint it that same color or are you planning a more modern variation?

·
Registered
296 Posts
being that I'm from just down the road in Annandale and spent a lot of time in sterling and that mine i inherited from my best friend i have to follow this build. you are off to a strong start.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Subscribed! This looks like it will be fun to watch. Good job bringing the car back. It would be a great car anyway, but even better since it was in the family your whole life.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subscribed. :thumbsup: Steel Cities has always been a favorite color of mine. I assume you'll repaint it that same color or are you planning a more modern variation?
That's exactly right! Perhaps just a bit of flake. Need to get some samples done!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool story Bro! Man that shop in the yellow photos is intriguing, is that a C1 body leaning up against the wall? :surprised
You have made a huge amount of progress to this point, what's your next step? Have you written out a game plan?
It is a C1, but it is on a jig, not leaning against the wall. This is T.M. Restoration in Rapidan, Va (Culpeper, Va). I do my best to mention him, because I think he does good work and I would like to see more members of the forum end up at his shop.

The next steps are in the air. All dependent on budget. More than likely, we'll wrap some brakes, flares, wheels, and paint. interior will be last. Need some better than original seats, and hopefully keyless entry. Still lots up in the air! Thanks for your nice words!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Great work and it's cool you are bringing the car back. It wasn't all that long ago my car was in about the same shape.

Keep after it..........

·
Registered
63 Posts
Impressive work to keep it in the family.
My only surprise is you not going for a in-tank fuel pump while you was at it.
Keep it up and keep us updated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a small update from a visit to TM Restoration today. Tom has been stacked with cars, and I was pleased to see he got a bunch of them sent off to their happy owners. I am hoping we can knuckle down and get this project flying. Granted....these things take time...:huh:

Closing up some holes that will no longer be needed....

Fuel System almost licked....

Crossmember all welded up!

That CIC crossmember looks solid

Borgeson Box looks legit

I'll keep the updates coming as we see more progress!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts