Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the price of gas is still increasing, I am reviving my old '73 Beetle to be my commuter car. My 4 wheel drive Tahoe is getting only 13.5 miles per gallon. The last time I drove the Bug it got 19 - 21 miles per gallon around town and 26 - 29 miles per gallon on the highway. Today, every little bit helps!

Anyway, I have been doing some body work as well as some minor engine work getting it ready for the road. I replaced the passenger side door last week.... it is amazing how in-expensive parts are for this car!

Here is the Bug about 5 years ago when I bought it. It is the same color right now, but not for long.

Once I get it back on the road, I will still be prepping it for paint by working out the bodywork issues.... there is not a lot left to do. Thinking of painting it satin black or maybe a dark blue. I will drop the suspension where it rides lot lower than it does right now. The exhaust will be changed out to a more performance type and better sound. I don't plan to do too much to the engine since I am going for gas mileage.

I will post more pics later and update as I progress. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Steve, didn't you replace one of the quarter panels behind the door on your Bug project? I need to cut out the bottom half of the passenger side quarter panel and replace it. I have the quarter side off another Bug and can match the new piece to the car. Question, how did you tack the metal into place? Someone told me to use a MIG welder. All I have is a stick welder and an acetylene torch. What would you recommend I do to tack the new panel in place.... braze it with the torch or hire someone who has a MIG to weld it in place?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
First comes the new paint.

Next a little interior work, just a little.

Then the Vette V8, and good bye gas mileage.

Thats a great looking Bug. I always thought

about buying a VW Van. They were cool.

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I had a 68 that I bought new. I stuck a DCOE45 Weber, Mallory dual point dist & coil, made my own headers and exhaust. I had custom wheels made by turning the stock VW centers down and welding inside Chevy 6x14 rims. I mounted the then new Firestone wide Ovals. It was quick and handled great.

Love them bugs.:partyon::partyon::partyon:

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
Unless you are really good with that torch I'd find someone that can mig it. I did all that welding on the bug with a $200 flux core Craftsman welder, a good excuse to go get you one.:D

You really have to avoid getting alot of heat in the panel they warp easy. I dealt with alot of warp on the drivers side and learned some from that and did better on the pass. side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts