Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new project has a HEI distributor and the original tach. Obviously the mechanical tach is not hooked up. It is my understanding that the 75 and possibly the 76 tach are electric and will be a direct bolt on and work with the HEI. However, none of the major corvette suppliers even carry a 75-77 tach. :crazy:

First, how can i get my hands on one of these mystical tachs? Second, is it in fact what I need? Third, what does every single 75-77 owner do if they need a tach?

:WTF

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
All C3 tachs beginning with HEI in 75 are electrical.

If you have a 74 and earlier mechanical tach in good condition, my advice would be to keep it. Saves the time, cost, and effort of pulling the dash and replacing the tach.

If you want to convert to electronic ignition, purchase one of the Pertronix or LectricLimited conversion kits for the mechanical tach.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
You can probably get one off of E-Bay.

Another option is to get one from one of the Corvette Salvage yards.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All C3 tachs beginning with HEI in 75 are electrical.

If you have a 74 and earlier mechanical tach in good condition, my advice would be to keep it. Saves the time, cost, and effort of pulling the dash and replacing the tach.

If you want to convert to electronic ignition, purchase one of the Pertronix or LectricLimited conversion kits for the mechanical tach.

:thumbsup:
The car came with an HEI already installed. The 70 tach seems to work fine, but its useless unless I buy one of those HEI dizzies with the mechanical driven port.

I dont like the idea of having no tach.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Someone (I think it was gary 68 or something) found an aftermarket tach that had the same sweep and even the same face mount holes as the stock tach. I dont remember where I saw his post about it though... maybe over on CF

·
Registered
101 Posts
distributor

i fitted a hei with tach drive to my 71,made by performance distributors ,50,000 volt,runs strong.no problems with it

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked on ebay last night and I found exactly zero. Feel free to prove me wrong.

I would rather find an old 75 then spend the big bucks on one of the HEI w/ mechanical output port dizzy's. Worst case I can buy a big tach with shift light and mount it on the column.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've never dealt with this person but have seen him recommended a few times on other threads but it might be worth giving him a call incase he has some sources.

http://www.harrisonspeedometer.com/inventoryparts.html

Should you fail to find anything I have an Autometer 5" monster tach with memory (#233902) I'm not using any more that I'd be willing to sell.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought a 75 tach on ebay and swapped the face from my 72 tach onto it. The lettering on the 75 is noticeably different from the 72 when compared side-to-side. As always, ebay is a crapshoot. The 'Nice!' condition tach had a burned out driver board and a lot of rust inside the housing, but fortunately the needle driver worked. I was able to get a partial refund due to the burned tach board. If you bid on one ask if it has been tested and verified to be working. I knew mine hadn't been tested so I asked about refunds before bidding.

You could try this shop for a used tach:

http://www.thcorvetteshop.com/

Paul has an amazing stock of used parts. I bought the replacement frame for my 72 from him, and had a look at the stock of parts he had up on the 2nd floor. There are many more parts stored offsite.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the links guys! Sent some emails out, ill report back with some details. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts