Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There hasnt been a big market for the 75-82 frames with C4 suspension built over the past 10 yrs or so. About one a year pops up to be built at the shop. I am wanting to kno if there was a frame out for the do it yourself guys...would you be interested in one?? It would mount stock 84-87 C4 suspension and no mods to the car. It would be a bare uncoated frame 2x4 rectangle .120 wall for the guy that likes to work on his cars. The hard part would be done. Its just a thought that could happen if there is enough intrest. Would like all your input as to what you would like to see or if you think you could do some fab work and keep cost down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is a frame out there, but it costs $$$$. I think it's called the SRIII or something.

If there was one out that was cheap enough when I did my build I would have bought it, but it would have had to be cheap. Under $750 at least. I'd buy a baseline frame with only suspension mounts built in if it was offered. Adding in the body mounts/engine mounts/etc. is trivial compared to getting the correct suspension geometry. However, I would want the front end mounts for the bumper and radiator support to be there as well.

After I modified my frame, I built a tubular chassis model in solidworks for later if I ever wanted to make a correct frame and not one that's pieced together. I thought about possibly building jigs so I could mass produce it, but I came to the conclusion that there just isn't a market for it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
There hasnt been a big market for the 75-82 frames with C4 suspension built over the past 10 yrs or so. About one a year pops up to be built at the shop. I am wanting to kno if there was a frame out for the do it yourself guys...would you be interested in one?? It would mount stock 84-87 C4 suspension and no mods to the car. It would be a bare uncoated frame 2x4 rectangle .120 wall for the guy that likes to work on his cars. The hard part would be done. Its just a thought that could happen if there is enough intrest. Would like all your input as to what you would like to see or if you think you could do some fab work and keep cost down.

Any pictures of what you are proposing? And in what way would this be better than our stock frames? :huh: Thanks Mark

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
http://www.streetshopinc.com/

I noticed the C4 based "Shark" Chassis on your website uses suspension from an '89-'96 'vette. I don't know didly squat about the C4 suspension, so maybe you could tell us the difference?

I would imagine that the price point will be the issue. I think most guys that have a 75-82 'vette aren't the guys that are looking to spend much money. Even a bare frame might be tough for them to justify, but I think you're on the right track trying to think of ways to make it affordable for them. I would imagine you wouldn't have much room for margin if you hit the $750 price point that guys like pyoryan are looking for. :huh:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

I think that would be something I might be interested in given the right price and options.

By options, I mean that everything from a stock C3 frame would transfer over with the exception of possibly C4 suspension.

+1 on wondering why choose early C4 over mid or late C4.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Why not skip the C4 rear end altogether? Build a C3 frame with a double wishbone rear setup like a C6. THAT might be a more popular style frame!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
that's one thing that makes the C3 crowd a tough sell... we're cheap. :laughing:

The typical C3 owner who's looking to update and upgrade his 'vette wants to spend a fraction of the coin that the latest generation owners will spend. Most of us seems to prefer to bust our knuckles than bust our the checkbook. The high dollar C3 guys tend to be the NCRS restoration guys. That makes it hard on the aftermarket manufacturers as they try to get a quality product to market and hit a tiny price point.

Just my observations, so it's all up for debate. :huh:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sry guys I have saw the emails but just haven't had time to say any thing. Have spent all my extra time on my c4. Some times its hard to do work for yourself. Had to put some miles on it this weekend and enjoy what I have built.

750-1500 is not realistic for a frame.

84-87 is available cheaper than the later because of the taller knuckle, which allows the suspension to be narrowed on the other frame offered.
One would have to run a positive offset wheel like found on newer vettes. Would have all body mounts, as well as for the bumper. Use stock front cradle from the c4 along with the springs. Rear you have 2 choices, cut fiberglass or send us you rear case and we will machine it for you. On the other chassis we build this is in the price of the frame.

This was just a though because I am considering buying a late shark as my next project after I'm done with my c4.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
This was just a though because I am considering buying a late shark as my next project after I'm done with my c4.
looking forward to seeing the updates on that project :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would be interested in a frame that i could swap all my existing vbp suspension to. My rear rails are rusting pretty heavily and i think i saw replacements going for almost $500 each. Either way I have to pull the body, but dont know if i want to fix the original frame or buy a new one.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sry guys I have saw the emails but just haven't had time to say any thing. Have spent all my extra time on my c4. Some times its hard to do work for yourself. Had to put some miles on it this weekend and enjoy what I have built.

750-1500 is not realistic for a frame. I gotta agree with you. I installed a C4 suspension under my 69, and it was a ton of work. I told myself if I ever did this again I would do it with rectangular tubing, and save myself a bunch of time grinding off decades of surface rust to get to weldable metal. Even with new metal, I can't see anyone doing a basic frame for less than 3k.
84-87 is available cheaper than the later because of the taller knuckle, (?) which allows the suspension to be narrowed on the other frame offered. I used '84 knuckles in the rear specifically because it packaged better, and allowed me to keep the stock C3 trackwidth and stock wheels.One would have to run a positive offset wheel like found on newer vettes. Would have all body mounts, as well as for the bumper. Use stock front cradle from the c4 along with the springs. Rear you have 2 choices, cut fiberglass or send us you rear case and we will machine it for you. On the other chassis we build this is in the price of the frame.

I'm also interested in what you've got planned for a late C3. :thumbsup: I'd love to see a C3 with a C5/C6 rear suspension. I wanted to do that on mine, but for personal reasons I limited the suspension conversion to anything that would fit without cutting any original bodywork. The packaging issues of the C5/C6 suspension would have required serious modifications to the interior and storage compartments.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm also interested in what you've got planned for a late C3. :thumbsup: I'd love to see a C3 with a C5/C6 rear suspension. I wanted to do that on mine, but for personal reasons I limited the suspension conversion to anything that would fit without cutting any original bodywork. The packaging issues of the C5/C6 suspension would have required serious modifications to the interior and storage compartments.
So....COPO, hook up with Custom Image Corvettes and have Josh build you a custom fiberglass interior rear deck/storage piece that accomodates the C6 rear suspension packaging, with a cut-out template. Cut the C3 to the template, drop in the Custom Image replacement storage unit, some aluminum rivets and a little glassing in work to smooth out the seam (if even necessary?..maybe some adhesive bonding instead), and voila! C3 with a C6 rear end and alternative C3/C6 storage compartments!

I bet Josh would be up for the challange!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems ever one is more interest in c6 suspension. Here ya go. This one is for late c3 with c6 suspension. This man stepped up to the plate and spared no expense.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be interested in a frame that i could swap all my existing vbp suspension to. My rear rails are rusting pretty heavily and i think i saw replacements going for almost $500 each. Either way I have to pull the body, but dont know if i want to fix the original frame or buy a new one.
We don't use the stock older suspension

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So....COPO, hook up with Custom Image Corvettes and have Josh build you a custom fiberglass interior rear deck/storage piece that accomodates the C6 rear suspension packaging, with a cut-out template. Cut the C3 to the template, drop in the Custom Image replacement storage unit, some aluminum rivets and a little glassing in work to smooth out the seam (if even necessary?..maybe some adhesive bonding instead), and voila! C3 with a C6 rear end and alternative C3/C6 storage compartments!

I bet Josh would be up for the challange!:thumbsup:
I haven't got to spend much time in the c3 section. Between work and building of my C4, its been time consuming. Spent the last yr figuring out how to give the C4 a badass stance and think I accomplished that. Well atleast some think so. I did see the thread josh has, will read it in a day or so.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts

750-1500 is not realistic for a frame.
<<SNIP>>
If $1,500 is not realistic, what is?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts