Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the L48 for the 75's were quite wimpy. Does anyone know if they were 4 bolt main, steel crank maybe??

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
The '75 L82 had 4-bolt mains, forged crank, forged alum. pistons, a hi-perf .450/.460 lift cam, and 2.02/1.60 valve heads.

The '75 L48 had 2-bolt mains, cast crank, cast alum. pistons, standard perf .390/.410 lift cam and 1.94/1.50 valve heads.

That's what my book says....

·
Registered
717 Posts
L48 Engine
Item Description
Engine Chevrolet OHV V-8
Bore x Stroke 4.00 x 3.48
Displacement 350.00
Compression Ratio 8.5:1
Carburetion Four barrel carburetor
Horsepower [email protected]
Torque [email protected]
Distributor High Energy Ignition (HEI)

I was surprised the HP was this low.....
You have to understand that in 75 , horsepower was rated at the rear wheels, where it previously was measured at the engine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You have to understand that in 75 , horsepower was rated at the rear wheels, where it previously was measured at the engine.
To my knowledge, GM never rated hp @ the rear wheels.

HP ratings changed in the early '70s from gross HP to net HP. Difference was net HP ratings was the engine rating with all/most of the acessories on the engine.

If you have other information, please let me know.

·
Registered
178 Posts
To my knowledge, GM never rated hp @ the rear wheels.

HP ratings changed in the early '70s from gross HP to net HP. Difference was net HP ratings was the engine rating with all/most of the acessories on the engine.

If you have other information, please let me know.
:agree: didnt then - doesnt now - never has :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all good now. My engine builder is throwing together a 4 bolt 355 that will make 425hp. Let the games begin :partyon:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts