Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1135 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I remember the motor goes in front....:laughing:
I just got back from Custom Image. I built a dolly for the 76 at home last night and did not get over there until about 1:00 A.M. Somehow it became 8:00 a.m. and I headed home. My wife is on the porch drinking coffee and I should probably go to bed.
I took the 4L60E off of the LS and got it on a stand and we lowered the car on the dolly so we can put the whole thing on the lift and get it out of the way. By midweek, suspension goodies should be here and the frame should be back at the same time. I was going to leave the brakes alone, but decided to go ahead and replace them too. Where do you draw the line?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What's the plans for the LS, Super charger, turbo's?
Nothing like that. Josh mentioned that we could throw a cam in it in no time, but I don't think I will even do that. Just a good exhaust and intake to start with and then down the road if I get bored or have too much money I could throw it at the car. I don't think either will happen any time soon, though.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I got over this afternoon and got the rear end pulled apart. I worked on taking apart the front, but got to the part where I think you need a tool to pull off the control arms and had to quit. I freed up some parts that I can clean up and powder coat next week.

Don't tell Josh, but before I left I cleaned up the shop a bit :)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was working at the shop yesterday and Josh asked if I could help him with something. We go over to his truck and he opened it up. "unload that, it is YOUR stuff" Happy birthday to me, it was the mother load of VBP goodies.

I got everything except the brakes. That was another nice surprise. Josh had them powder coat 'em red, so I am guessing they might be another day or so. I got it all unloaded and accounted for. Can't wait to put it on the frame. It should be back from powder coat tomorrow.

I am headed back over now to clean up some parts and powder coat stuff. The parts that we are reusing seem amazingly clean so I hope it won't take quite as long. I am sure it will still take a while, though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wow!!! You were not joking about ordering all those parts. That is going to be fun putting all brand new parts on a nice clean bare frame without any grease and everything so easy to access.

Those powder cost guys on your frame were lightening quick turning that thing around.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I got over after work today and got some old parts boxed up to go back to VBP. I got the diff. split open and cleaned up the mess I made tearing old stuff apart. Yea, Rob, it will be a treat to put new and clean stuff back on it. I can't wait for that part.

I am going to head back after dinner and a quick yard mowing. There is this black 69 convertible at the shop and Josh found some stuff I can do to help out on it tonight. ;-)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It must be Christmas, look at all those goodies.

Man things are moving pretty fast for you, I wish I could make
that kind of progress on my project, I just never seam to have
enough time.
As fast as things are moving, you might get to drive it this summer.

Any additional spy photo's/video's of the "Black 69". LOL

Riggs.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
what'd you do about the "custom" engine mount? Did it just unbolt?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got some bad news today. The trailing arms are needing rebuilt. The diff also needs reworked. Josh has some 4:11's that we were originally going to put in the back. I really don't understand that stuff so much, but I guess with the Richmond six speed, first gear would be pretty useless unless I was going to enter a tractor pull or something :laughing: Josh is working out getting that all worked out for me. This was not in the budget, but I really can't complain. The car has been very good to me up until now with no surprises. It is kind of a blessing because I would so much rather deal with it now then later. I have the car torn down and I have Josh here, and when it is done it will be new from front to back.
Rob: I forgot to mention that when I got done unpacking all of those goodies, in the bottom of the box was a VBP catalog with your car on it. I was like : nice car!
Spy photos... yea, I don't think so. :laughing: I can tell you all this though: Soon, and amazing.
Tomorrow after work I will dig into the rear end. That should be some messy fun.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Your making me feel inadaquate!

In the time since this thread was started I have fixed 4 wiring issues and diagnosed my accelerator pump needle was sticking. :smack

Awesome job, its great to see you taking advantage of your situatin. We are all jealous!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The "custom" engine mounts are welded on the frame. One straddled the old steering box. I am really hoping that the new rack's shaft will fit down through there. I am sure we can modify it if it does not, but the frame is already powder coated. I would have liked to gone about this differently, but time did not allow and you just gotta go with it.
I went over for a few hours after work and got the front hub assemblies broken down and cleaned them up a bit. I will blast them later. I just wanted to get them out of the way. Tonight I will break down the rear end and get it off to Mike Dyer ASAP. Big thanks to him for taking on the diff and the trailing arms. There are some places locally that can do it, but I don't really know anything about them. Everything else in the car is new and I really want the mechanical stuff to be all done right and not have to worry about it.
I have never done this kind of thing before so I don't have much to go by, but it does seem like things are moving along quickly. I have been working a full time job, trying to be part of my family, and spending countless hours at Custom Image. This is not how I would have planned any of this, but this chance was once in a lifetime and the window is very small. I have been very fortunate (so far) because my wife has been most understanding. I think it is partly because she knows that I have always wanted to do something like this, but it was never going to be possible. Also partly because she was the one that brought up the idea of getting a "cool car" in the first place
I am also lucky that Josh is pretty fun to hang around with. I have been spending at least as much time at the shop as I do at my job and if I didn't enjoy it, I would never be able to drag myself over there every day after work. I can sleep when it is done. Oh crap. These cars are never really "done", are they?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tonight I will break down the rear end and get it off to Mike Dyer ASAP. Big thanks to him for taking on the diff and the trailing arms. There are some places locally that can do it, but I don't really know anything about them.

Very good choice to have Mike do the diff & trailing arms. You will not have to worry about them ever again. He does great work and is monies well spent.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I made it home from the shop. I have to get up for work in four hours, but I am not really sleepy. I got the diff. disassembled, but it took me all night. I am new to this stuff and am sure most of you guys would have had it done hours ago and been asleep by now. Josh was busy with Kaoss, and so I was pretty much alone. I got to a couple of points where I had to wait for him to take a break and have him come over and bail me out, but it is done.
I am SO glad that it all worked out like it did and I am having Mike redo the back end. Here are the stub axles.

I don't know much about rear ends, but I know that ain't right.
Tomorrow we may run up and get the frame from powder coat, depending mostly on how much time he has available. I can't wait to see that.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I did not have any time this week to work on the car, but today I was able to go up and get the frame from powder coat. Rainbow in Cedar Rapids, Iowa sand blasted the frame and 2 crossmembers and coated them with gloss black. The whole bill was $347. I think that was a pretty fair deal and they did a great job. When I was done the guy who I think was the owner of the shop came out and looked at the frame and asked what year it was. I told him and then he asked "what's it gonna have in it". I told him and LS1 and a Richmond and he said he would really like to see it when it was done, and asked if I would send him a picture. That kind of interest is pretty cool in my book. I have never dealt with them before, but it seems like a really down to earth family run business. I like that a lot, and I will go back if I need more big stuff done.

I am hoping that I we can set up the powder coating soon so I can get the rear end and trailing arms coated and sent off to Mike. I think I should have just spent the money and had Rainbow do it too so I could get them out. I need to get them back so when time allows I have all the parts here so I can put this thing together.
Hope to have more updates soon......

21 - 40 of 1135 Posts