Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brand new carb was leaking near the fuel inlet so I decided to check a few things. Small plastic gasket is in place at the end of the fuel filter fitting. I changed the brand new fuel filter
(which had a paper end gasket) to a new FRAM one that had rubber instead. Put one turn of thread tape on the housing and sealed it all back up. Car fired right back up, as it always does, but it still leaks. Turned off the car. OK...so I called the carb company, left a message and moved on to other projects.

When to fire up the car and now it won't start. Just cranks and cranks. So i pulled the FRAM fuel filter out and put the previous brand new one back in. I removed the tape from the threads entirely. Reassembled and still nothing.

It is possible a small bit of that tape got past something and blocked a passageway?

·
Registered
99 Posts
With the air cleaner off and the car off, actuate the throttle linkage and see if fuel is going into the intake. Is this a standard small block (no computer) if so it needs fuel, spark and some compression. Sounds like you do have a blockage. That tape is bad for that.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the air cleaner off and the car off, actuate the throttle linkage and see if fuel is going into the intake. Is this a standard small block (no computer) if so it needs fuel, spark and some compression. Sounds like you do have a blockage. That tape is bad for that.
Standard small block...nothing fancy at all. I'll see if I can look down into the intake. Thanks.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. I can see and hear it spraying strong when I move the throttle linkage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ok then look for spark. Pull a plug hold it on ground (contact engine block or steel connected to engine) and have someone crank the engine over. Put your air cleaner back on before you play with spark. Test against the block or somewhere there is no gas smell. I am no professional mechanic these are only things i would try myself.

Be careful

Kevin

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Ck to see if the coil wire is on tight, I've found boots that didn't fit tight or even corrosion in the coil socket. It happened to my 72 last summer, coil had 5k miles on it and was junk. It was leaking oil into the socket and turned the coil wire end into mush. I cut the end back and installed and a new coil and drove it 800 miles no issue.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ck to see if the coil wire is on tight, I've found boots that didn't fit tight or even corrosion in the coil socket. It happened to my 72 last summer, coil had 5k miles on it and was junk. It was leaking oil into the socket and turned the coil wire end into mush. I cut the end back and installed and a new coil and drove it 800 miles no issue.
Within 20 minutes I can go from quick start to nothing? Really?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
If you had a connection like I found , yes. No saying that is your problem but check it.

If the engine cranks over then as mentioned you need fuel and spark. Is the coke open or closed? With choke open you should see 2 streams of gas very clearly as you open the throttle by hand. If it spits out no good, you could drop a little gas directly into the carb but be careful if you do this. If it's a fuel issue it will fire up for a second and shut off. If ignition it won't fire. If it jumped a tooth on the chain it will backfire out the carb but I doubt that with yours because it's all new correct?

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:laughing: These cars hate me today.

Not sure if it matters, but I had disconnected the a/c idle stop electrical connection (although currently the car has NO a/c).

Hooked it back up and tried again after making the other suggested checks.

It struggled, I hit the gas and eventually it fired up. Ran REALLY rough for about 5 seconds then smoothed out, back to its ol' self.

These are the type of situations I do not like, because ya never know when it will show up again.

OH...and the fuel leak stopped. :thud:

Last I checked, cars aren't fixing themselves.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
That stop is there to keep the car from stalling when you have the ac on and make a sudden stop. There is a plugger that pops out to keep the idle set. Pulling the wire the plugger should go back in, then you set the "low" idle connect the plugger and set the curb idle.

It almost sounds like you had an air pocket in there but I never heard of that with a pressured fuel line. I would look over the choke setup and make sure it is off when the engine is warm. With some carbs (holley or BG) we didn't even use a choke. Ran crappy the first 5 minutes or so until it warmed up and then was fine.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You may of also gotten a piece of the tape,you wrapped the fuel inlet with,stuck in the needle and seat and it may have been flooded. Teflon tape is great for plumbing. For carbs...Not so much!;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ive always heard youre not supposed to use thread tape on the fuel system, if I remember correctly its because it dissolves the tape. Normally that shouldnt be a problem as long as you dont use the tape all the way to the end or have a leak. I have never confirmed any of this, if someone knows for a fact this is wrong please say so.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive always heard youre not supposed to use thread tape on the fuel system, if I remember correctly its because it dissolves the tape. Normally that shouldnt be a problem as long as you dont use the tape all the way to the end or have a leak. I have never confirmed any of this, if someone knows for a fact this is wrong please say so.
I can 100% that fuel dissolves regular teflon tape. And I mean totally dissolves.

Lesson learned here for me.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It struggled, I hit the gas and eventually it fired up. Ran REALLY rough for about 5 seconds then smoothed out, back to its ol' self.
That sounds to me like it was flooded. Was it smelling like gas possibly smoked out the exhaust at first?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts