Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
First off, why replace the oil pump? Is your pressure bad? If your pressure isn't low I say no reason to replace the pump. Typically bearing wear will affect oil pressure before a worn pump ever will, and from the sounds of things I see no indications that your pump would be an issue.

Porting your heads might help a little bit, but without other changes I don't think it would even be worth the effort...or cost if you're having someone else do it.

The problem is that changing just one aspect of your induction system will not get you great results. Think of it like this. Cut a small section out of the middle of an air vent pipe in your home, and replace that one section with a larger diameter pipe. You won't increase the amount of air that flows through that pipe at all.

To make power through induction, every aspect of the air in / air out system needs to be worked on.

Trust me though, I understand the dilemma of trying to make more power without making large noticeable changes. However, you can do little bits, like have already been done, to help.

To close, I recommend the following to get the best gains from what you have and what you're willing to do.

Have your carb serviced, and tuned to your goals.
If you port the heads, port the intake too, and gasket match all of it. Get a good mildly aggressive cam. I like the Comp 268H for utilizing the stock compression of an L82. It'll really wake it up with some improvements to the induction system.

Then, and this is an important step, take the car to a local shop that has the equipment to properly tune your combination by monitoring the exhaust gasses and ignition system. The carb and timing are what they'll adjust using data collected from the exhaust and ignition system. But, they have to have the right equipment so make sure you ask.

The above might net you a very noticeable difference without requiring a lot of very noticeable changes.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What does a matched set of gaskets mean exactly? I didn't figure that the gaskets would play a big role in this change.

Gasket matching is a MUST if you are spending the time and money to port. Use a set of very specific gaskets that you will use for your build. They become the template for the ports on the intake, and the heads...where the two meet. The more linear the travel path is for the air, meaning it slips through perfectly where the intake and head meet at the gasket, the better.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
That's a fine combo. You wouldn't be disappointed with it at all. Please just make sure it's tuned properly. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.