Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a set of 799 heads for 400.00 new. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2087756336.html

Looks lke they came across a bunch of them as they are listing on ebay also. After searching today seems like a truckload became available all of the sudden.

From what I can find on the truck forums these are the same as 243 heads without hollow valves or sodium filled I think it was. So a little heavier valves in the 799's. I have a 2000 with I think the 241 heads.

Would this be a good choice for future upgrades? Worth buying now for future cam and spring upgrade?

If so I can get the heads and in a couple of months get the springs and retainers upgraded. Ready for bolt on with a new cam and intake. Headers would go in at the same time as all other upgrades.

Huge upgrade in performance or not?

I know heads seem to be the restriction in the whole hp race but I can't drop 2k on a set of AFR or Patriot's. I can drop about 300 a month on parts to get where I want to be.

I am looking for about 425-450 hp in the long run.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you're just looking for a nice gain over stock without dropping a buttload of money you may be better off having your stock heads ported. I had mine ported with FI in mind and a valve job for $550 and I'd put them up against any ported LS6 heads. It's much better bang for the buck IMO. Most will say get the LS6 heads because they listen to folks looking to sell LS6 heads.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If you're just looking for a nice gain over stock without dropping a buttload of money you may be better off having your stock heads ported. I had mine ported with FI in mind and a valve job for $550 and I'd put them up against any ported LS6 heads. It's much better bang for the buck IMO. Most will say get the LS6 heads because they listen to folks looking to sell LS6 heads.
Do you have flow numbers to compare? I'd like to see them both compared, via flow numbers. This would be interesting...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't have before numbers, just after:

lift in ex
.100 77 65
.200 145 116
.300 199 159
.400 243 190
.500 275 210
.600 285 216
.700 288 224

Heads have fully ported exhaust, bowl ported and port matched intake, profiling of the combustion chambers and a valve job. The intake runners weren't touched, the theory being it will help with air velocity and improve torque. My flow numbers look mediocre compared to some but the proof is in the pudding. With a 222/228 duration cam I put down 442rwhp/431rwtq, dyno in sig. I'd post who did the work but I'm not sure if forum rules allow it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts