Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help a friend sort out his 81 automatic lunging. He has the same engine as I do and at 800 RPM in neutral when you drop into drive it really squats down. I don’t know what it is but it ant fun to drive as is. My 4 speed is much smoother to drive even with a 900 RPM idle. As I said our engines are completely the same as he used my parts list when building the motor. Even the headers and side pipes are the same. Tried idling it down to 600 but it vibrates too much at low idle.

I am not into automatics so need some advice from someone that does.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Stock automatics usually like to idle around 650 with a max of 700. Over that, the mechanics of the torque converter are trying to move the car. Not much you can do other than a higher stall convertor or put up with the crappy idle.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Dean.
My 81 auto has always done that. Turbo 350, then 700R, to a lesser extent, but still there. It preloads the rear spring when the drive/stall torque is applied, causing the squat.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am so glad I have a 4 speed in my 81. Right now I am fixing some other issues on my friends 81 and will try to get a smoother idle on it.:buhbye:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts