Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I bought my vette about a month ago, and the finish on the wheels looks to be corroded by a spray maybe that the previous owner used on the wheels. Is there a way to polish these to remove that, or is there a "clearcoat" that got eaten away?

What's your recommendation on polishes?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just asked this question a few months ago....maybe you can search it. I had the same problem, and the forum recommended (generally) that I scuff the wheels with 2000 grit paper (wet!) and then follow with a Mothers powerball and a good wheel cleaner. My wheels cleaned up very well, and I haven't had any further oxidation. I'm betting that my clear coat is still there and a chemical wheel cleaner caused the spotting. Good luck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yep, thats the recipie. Will take a couple hours to do all 4 wheels. They are good metal and will hold the finish a Long time

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used Mothers Billet Aluminum Polish and a Porter Cable buffer and a white foam pad. Buffed lightly with a Microfiber towel by hand after using PC.

If your pads turn BLACK... they are not clear coated.

I went through one pad per wheel, but the results were awesome... !!!:surprised

BEFORE ........................ & ......................... AFTER

·
Registered
333 Posts
I used Mothers Billet Aluminum Polish and a Porter Cable buffer and a white foam pad. Buffed lightly with a Microfiber towel by hand after using PC.

If your pads turn BLACK... they are not clear coated.

I went through one pad per wheel, but the results were awesome... !!!:surprised

BEFORE ........................ & ......................... AFTER

:agree: And it is alot easier if the tire is off the wheel. It takes time but you can see the results.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sand um like you hate um. Start with med. and go down to a super fine paper then use a very fine steel wool. That should take all the clear coat off. Then the fun part, Mothers with or with the ball ( I had to do mine by hand) then Never Dull (by Eagle). They will come up like chrome. Just buff them up every couple of weeks, and they will stay shinny.

Good Luck, Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys!

Hi folks

I took your advice, bought some Mothers Billet polish, and a powerball, and "had a ball". That works great!!!!

Here's the result (see attached):

Thanks again for the great advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi folks

I took your advice, bought some Mothers Billet polish, and a powerball, and "had a ball". That works great!!!!

Here's the result (see attached):

Thanks again for the great advice!
That's what I'm talkin' about !!! They look great... :partyon:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts