Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've had my 81 sitting in my garage carbless for the last 2 years and I really want to get the thing running now. I'm looking at buying a Holley 4160 with and Edelbrock RPM airgap intake manifold (air cleaner w/dropped base), and MSD Street fire Distributor. My question is what do I need to get this installed, how do I remove all the carb computer stuff/ What stuff do i remove and how do i hook up all the vacuum lines? Also will this combination even work before i buy the stuff.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Which type of 4160? Street Avenger, ect..? Some of the Street Avengers have ports for both PVC and power brake booster and some don't. If the carb you get doesn't, get a spacer and tap the back of the spacer for a pipe thread and install a hose fitting so you'll have a place to connect the power brake hose. Most Holleys have two or three vacum ports with one being a timed port for vacum advance. I put a Holley on my 84 Caprice with an Accel 4 pin distributor, and I disconnected the 7 pin and just put the 4 pin in and hooked my MSD box according to. With the all the computer stuff removed the check engine stayed on so I just removed the bulb and all is well. Hope this helped, and if you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to help out:thumbsup: Good luck:thumbsup:

·
They call me, Hugh Huffner
584 Posts
Its actually pretty simple

Your computer is in the Battery box...reach in and disconnect it...you will probably have to remove the Batt.

Does your manifold have EGR? you may have to remove the valve and get a block off plate.

Get some vaccuum caps.

You need a port for PCV, Vaccuum Advance and Brakes (rear of the carb) make sure you have the right fitting!

If you want you can also pull the smog pump and get rid of its hoses... (make sure to block the ports on the Charcoal cannister, and on the tops of your manifolds.)

Then its a simple matter of dropping the carb on.
I run an Edelbrock 600 Electric choke non EGR on both of mine. I have had better luck with Edelbrocks than Holleys, but thats just me.

Get the fuel line adapter, (on the edelbrocks, it drops down and runs forward, toward the stock fuel line...less rubber line to mess with. ( about 4 inches or so) you will have to chop the facory line down for an Edelbrock due to a different fuel inlet point... it will be easier to fab a steel fuel line when you can do it.

The Distributor will be fine, or go ahead and get an ACCEL or an MSD... and your connectors will hook up.

Then its all just timing and setting up the carb, and the electric choke.

Not difficult! Hope I helped!:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
The edelbrock 1405, and 1406 are 1/4" shorter then the Holleys, I was running a Edelbrock 1406 with a performer airgap and a edelbrock triangle air filter with no clearance issues (had about .200 clearance from the top of the air cleaner), just recently swapped in a Holley 4011 and the air cleaner no longer clears but in my case I plan on cutting the hood for a shotgun scoop that I bought for my new combo.

You will need a drop filter if you plan on running that intake with a holley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts