Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a complete motor and trans pullout.

So Im asking for help to put this into my 81. I will send the harness out to get rewired and get fuel lines from street and performance. if you have done it, please let me know of anything I need to know. It will have the 700r4 from the car also.

I seen bowtie overdrives make a crossmember for the trans. will buy that also.

if you have done this, where did you put the computer. I wanted to put mine under the dash!!

Pics of swaps would be awsome also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
78 Tuned Port...

I put my computer in the glove box, in hindsight, I'd have put it in the compartment behind the passenger seat... just my opinion...

I bought my harness/ECU from Larry's Electric, a good setup, but the ECU was bad out of the box, so I had to find another one... other than that, I liked the harness for under $400...

If you buy a 1982 sending unit, you can mount an LT1 fuel pump in the tank instead of an external pump. The sending unit bolts up to your existing tank. I then replaced the 1/4" return line with a 3/8" line... as long as I was changing it, I just made it the same size as the supply line. I used about half and half hard line and braided stainless hose in the hard to reach place (rear passenger fender well). Mating this 3/8" braided hose to the fuel rail was a bit of a challenge, I just ordered a fitting that adapted the 5/16" line from the fuel rail to a 3/8" male for the braided hose connector. I used an electric fan out of a taurus, hi flow fan, a bit of a pain because of the high startup current... but a great setup.

I modified the existing cross member to work with my 700R4, I shortened the drive shaft by a couple of inches and had to buy an external speed sensor to plug into the speedo cable housing. I shortened the mount plate by about an inch and a half or so and moved my emergency brake cable pulley to the end of the tail stock on the transmission... this mounted perfectly. I have the double pass through cross member which made the dual exhaust a nice fit... some didn't have this cross member, the other type won't modify as easily... The after market cross member is a nice fit without having to modify as much if you don't mind a couple hundred dollars for it...

I am still trying to figure out what to do about a cold air induction setup, currently just using the throttle body mount filter.. If you have other questions related to installing this setup, I'll be glad to tell you what I've done... No need to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWESOME..:thumbsup: ILL BE HITTING YOU UP SOON!!

Anyone else please feel free to post pic or comments.

More pics would be awesome..:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes... the TPI/LT1 pump will fit right in the holder from the 82 sending unit. I used hose clamps to secure the pump to the bracket.

I'll try to get some current pics up soon...

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Is it an optical illusion or is that motor sitting really far forward? Is that on the stock mounts?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Don't buy the crossmember from them. I have one that still looks like new I'll sell you for $50 + shipping from 76020 in Tx.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Nice setup. When I got my 75 it already had a "Frankensteined TPI setup in it. The previous owner did a nice job finding the pieces that worked, but didn't actually get a complete setup and drop it in. If I remember correctly the computer was just sitting in the engine bay, lol. If I knew then what I know now, lol. It was a very cool thing to drive. I later switched it back to Carb, which with the upgraded cam, was equally as cool. The problem was the inline fuel pump he had installed on the frame rail(?) next to where the mechanical pump was. The wiring was pretty rough, but it was easy enough for me to fix on the side of I-95 ;) I'm not sure if I'll be much help, but if theres anything I can contribute I will. Good Luck :thumbsup:

JB

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice setup. When I got my 75 it already had a "Frankensteined TPI setup in it. The previous owner did a nice job finding the pieces that worked, but didn't actually get a complete setup and drop it in. If I remember correctly the computer was just sitting in the engine bay, lol. If I knew then what I know now, lol. It was a very cool thing to drive. I later switched it back to Carb, which with the upgraded cam, was equally as cool. The problem was the inline fuel pump he had installed on the frame rail(?) next to where the mechanical pump was. The wiring was pretty rough, but it was easy enough for me to fix on the side of I-95 ;) I'm not sure if I'll be much help, but if theres anything I can contribute I will. Good Luck :thumbsup:

JB
Any pics?? And thanks!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sorry, It's been way too long since I've switched. The car is now in pieces awaiting space and money for the restoration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Harness

I bought the TPI Harness from Painless, got the 6" long harness, removed the original harness and fed the new one in. Put the computer behind the drivers seat where the original computer was located. Just got it running. Need to find an air filter system for it. I would like to go over the radiator like the original intake was. Any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts